Advice on an old synth

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
oddnoise

Advice on an old synth

Post by oddnoise » Mon May 09, 2005 5:36 pm

I am aiming to join the Voyager community by purchasing a second hand version. I have been offered serial 540, OS v2.1, blue wheels, for £1550 and it's a tough decision. I have heard that early versions have noise problems and when trying out the keyboard, admittedly on crappy headphones there was background noise on all patches, is this a fault, can it be fixed or is that just down to analogue? Are there any other problems with the early models?

MC

Post by MC » Mon May 09, 2005 7:17 pm

It's a known fault on early Voyagers, it can be fixed. #540 is a Signature Edition which has a four year warranty (still active), any service center can fix the problem.

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Mon May 09, 2005 9:53 pm

The folks at Moog were wonderful about upgrading my Signature (Serial# 518) to current factory spec. All i had to pay was shipping to Moog.

Your experience may be different, as you're outside the US, as you may need to deal with Turnkey or whomever acts as your local fixit shoppe.

-Hoax

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Tue May 10, 2005 8:40 am

Give RL Music a call - they are synth restoration experts. If you need a reference for them, Boeing737-400, who posts on this forum, is the person to ask - he buys all his synths from them.

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

dizz

Post by dizz » Sun May 15, 2005 5:23 pm

I've heard of problems with earlier models before. I have #412 and haven't had any problems. It's never been serviced (since I bought it new) and I don't hear any reason to send it in for a tune up, although Moog will do two tune-ups in the warranty period. My synths don't travel and I don't even have a case for the Voyager but I wonder if I should take advantage of the warranty while it's still good. Was there a certain range of serial numbers that had issues?

regards,

dizz

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu May 19, 2005 4:56 pm

The Unknown wrote:Give RL Music a call - they are synth restoration experts. If you need a reference for them, Boeing737-400, who posts on this forum, is the person to ask - he buys all his synths from them.

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk
Yes, I can thoroughly recommend them.

I should be getting some commision by now? :wink:

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Thu May 19, 2005 6:12 pm

RL Music are indeed skilled in what they do but they are unlikely to take on a Voyager for repair . . thay could do it, but you would be better getting in touch with Nick Thomas at Turnkeys (moogs UK distributor) as only they have the spare parts needed to fix the common problems found in early Voyagers . . all RLMusic will probably do is swap out a board and have to go through Turnkeys anyway.

On the other hand if you have a vintage analogue that needs servicing or restoring then give Richard Lawson a call - www.rlmusic.co.uk (nice website!!)

mee3d
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri May 20, 2005 6:15 am

Oh yeah excellent work on the website Mal.

My SE has got the volume knob problem, but I'm worried about using Turnkey.

mee3d

Post by mee3d » Fri May 20, 2005 7:34 am

Well if you don't use Turnkey (or moog) and get it fixed you'll void your warranty.

I may be wrong but i think Music Control up north is also able to do it under warranty if you want to ship it?

M
http://www.mee3d.com
3d animation & compositing | multimedia design & production | web design & development | dvd authoring & encoding | audio surround mixing & composition