Dose the voyager track at 1V/oct?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
tommyecho

Re: Dose the voyager track at 1V/oct?

Post by tommyecho » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 pm

So, after being assured by Perry at Moog that the XL was indeed 1V/octave on both the in and out, I went ahead and built up a small eurorack modular for use with the XL. I now have a makenoise DPO and a Malekko Wiard Oscillator tracking beautifully from the XL's pitch out: mixing that with the 3 oscillators from the XL, and it sounds awesome. I get 5 octaves, basically, which is good enough for me! I also am using the makenoise Rene for my sequencer, and I have the quantized CV multed out to the 3 eurorack oscillators and the 3 XL oscillators, and I also get 5 octaves that way :twisted:

When I first tried this out, it was not working so well. I had not yet bought the wiard Oscillator, and, between the DPO and the XL, I assumed the XL just needed a bit of adjusting, since there is a lot of speculation about the 1V/octaveness of it. . . I got instructions from Perry on how to adjust the trim for the CV-out on the voyager. This fixed the problem of getting the DPO to track along with the Voyager Osc's, but, when I got the Wiard, I realized that the wiard was now off. I double checked things and noticed that the Wiard and Rene were scaled the same, but the DPO (and now the XL) were slightly different now. So, I recalibrated the XL to work with the Wiard, then I adjusted the trim pots on the DPO. Problem solved! Then, to top it off, I adjusted the pitch input trimpot on the XL, which made it so that everything followed the Rene perfectly (before, I had to use the XL's attenuator to make it follow the quantized CV correctly). Now, all I have to do is mult the pitch from either the rene or the XL and send it to the rest of the sound sources, and I'm in business. No attenuation or other scaling is necessary. I used this in my performance at "switched on" last week in a song where I had a fun Rene sequence going to all the oscillators which were then filtered or modulated in different ways. Flippin' sweet!

I agree that midi is a good way to go, and I use midi a lot for different things. . . there is something that feels really immediate about the CV, though, so I prefer to go that route sometimes; )

Here's the calibration proceedure for the pitch out on the XL. Be warned, doing this MIGHT VOID YOUR WARRANTY, so I would check with moog first if yours hasn't expired yet. I am not an engineer or anything, and I thought it was totally easy to do. I'd say just be certain to stay clear of touching anything that is not mentioned in these instructions:

*Lift the front panel and place a small stack of books (~2-2.5” high) underneath.
*Remove the 7 screws located at the top of the panel and carefully lower the plate
*Locate VR100 on the back of the modular board (11-461). This is the keyboard CV calibration.
*Play an E3 (0v) and run the keyboard CV out to a piece of modular gear. Use the Fine Tune knob to get this in tune.
*Now play an E5 and look at the tuning on the synth being controlled. Adjust VR100 until you get a perfect 2 octave interval.
*Check other E notes along the keyboard to insure proper scaling (it is common for notes in the outer registers to be a bit out of tune with CV).
*Close the back panel and reinsert the 7 screws.
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:08 pm

The procedure you described only affects the CV out, right ? Not the internal keyboard CV used by the analog board for the oscillators ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Yep, it only affects the CV out. I asked Perry the same question after he sent the info. As far as I can tell, there is no change whatsoever to the way the keyboard affects the oscillators, and Perry confirmed that that was the case. I noticed that there is a similar trim labelled "CV in" and I used it to calibrate the way the CV in tracks an external sequencer.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:27 pm

That's very good to know! Thanks for sharing this very useful info ! :D
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

BHC303

Post by BHC303 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Cheers!

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Awesome. Glad I could share!

slamgauge

Post by slamgauge » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:11 am

thealien666 wrote:Those two instrument both having MIDI capabilities, you should use that in order for them to track each other precisely.
Pfft, what fun is that!

Actually I messed around with the offset and slope trimpots on my Minibrute and it tracks fine now. I checked the tracking on the VoyagerXL and it was spot on.