MULITPLE RME'S,POLYEVOLVER OR GO MODULAR?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
rwkj

MULITPLE RME'S,POLYEVOLVER OR GO MODULAR?

Post by rwkj » Wed May 04, 2005 9:28 pm

Hello,

I'm a Voyager owner/fanatic now for seven months and I'm looking to upgrade my set-up. I'm looking to get some polyphony and I'm debating whether to get multiple rme's over time(time consuming and costly),get a polyevolver keyboard version(d/a hybrid but sounds great imo, plus a sequencer+4note poly+midi) or just go modular? I've seen a couple of posts inquiring about using additional modular oscillator modules for polyphony, is this a semi-feasible option? lastly, Reading through the posts here I see some forum users own some or all of the choices mentioned here and I'm looking to complete my set-up that is gig-practical and where I would get most bang for the buck. I do not yet have the vx-351 or cp-251 but i've already figured them into the soon to be upgrade. I would appreciate any and all feedback/opinions. Thanks-Bob.K

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Thu May 05, 2005 5:45 am

I like the sound of the DSI Polyevolver. It's very fresh, in my opinion. If I was you I would get a polysynth, maybe the Polyevolver or the Andromeda.

If you don't have much experience with synths you will feel daunted with a modular - even experienced users do.

You might also want to invest on the CP-251 to get some more flexibility from the Voyager. It will probably clarify your decision too.

8)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu May 05, 2005 10:23 am

Bob,

Decision, decisions! Too many, IMO.

A CP-251 and VX-351 (I'd get the rack mount option, too) will give you a semi-modular Voyager - a taste of what modular systems are all about. You could add to it from there with modular components, but I don't think you'll achieve a polyphonic synth as a result. You could end up with a very capable modular system. I wouldn't call it gig-practical, but it worked for Keith Emerson.

Going the RME route will result in added polyphony - one additional voice for each RME you add. A stack of RMEs would be an impressive sight indeed. Very cool. Very expensive.

Considering polykeyboards opens up a vast world of possibilities. Analog or digital? ROMpler or VA? Any selection here can result in good bang for the buck and a gig-practical setup. It won't expand the Voyager per say, but would expand the capabilities of your rig. What kind of music are you performing? What kind of sounds do you need to create/emulate? What are your basic needs/desires? (The DSI PolyEvolver is cool, but can you get by with just four voices?) The answers to these questions should direct you to a general class of instruments. From there you can audition your picks, evaluate the merits of each, and check out the forums to see what people are saying. Take your time and you won't end up with 'buyer's remorse'.

rwkj

Post by rwkj » Thu May 05, 2005 4:37 pm

Hello again,

I definately agree, "too many decisions". I've got to narrow it down. Getting the vx-351+cp251 is a given and semi-modular capabilities is all I need in that department. I'm really drooling over the RME's and there's enough in the budget right now to either start with one of them or get a polyphonic board or figure something out. I could live with just four voice polyphony(although it would be nice to play seven chords and have melody).
pure digital synths ain't my cup of tea and my needs are rather modest so a Rompler or somthing like a triton is unnecessary(I'm not doing filmscores or something of the like). I have considered VA's in the past and not too long ago I tried an Ion and puked. I also briefly tried an andromeda. It sounded good but, too much jargon involved using the damn thing which is one of the reasons I dislike digital although it's supposed to be analog. To be honest I'm an old dog learning new tricks. for most of the years of playing, all of my boards were and are pre-midi. Now with the advent of desktop studios I'm starting to come out of the stoneage. I bought my Voyager to have something new and dependable and I'm in heaven. The os is easy, I can save patches etc,. As I progress, my simple ways are being corrupted by all the new features on the Voyager and I'm looking for the right tool to fatten up the sound polyphonically and complete my rig. I'm tired of just basses and leads.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu May 05, 2005 7:15 pm

rwkj,

I have a Voyager and a Polyevolver. I have the rack mount Polyevolver because I bought it before the board came out :x . The Polyevolver is a sweet synth even though digital synths aren't what you're into. It definitely has the Prophet sound so if you like Dave Smith's synths, you'll really enjoy the Polyevolver. You can add extra Evolvers or Polyevolvers for more voices if you need them. He has a picture on his website of his T8 with 5 Evolvers sitting on top of it :twisted:

Getting several RME's for polyphony is going to take up a lot of space, but like GregAE said, it would be sweet. Plus someone's gotta do it so we can all drool over the pictures :)

You said that you're getting into virtual instruments so maybe Arturia's Moog Modular software would be an option so you can own an inexpensive modular synth before you dump a ton of cash on a real modular or expanded Voyager.

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Thu May 05, 2005 9:58 pm

Just make sure you have a powerful processer for the moog VA's they are hungry boys. Once you start in with the polyphony it just goes to work on your CPU. Sounds great though....for a VA that is. :wink:

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Fri May 06, 2005 7:32 am

<< I could live with just four voice polyphony (although it would be nice to play seven chords and have melody). >>

Well, if your budget allows what about an Omega 8?

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products_omega8.php

Rack mount & gig practical. Definately not cheap, but eight voices of pure analog joy!

donato

Post by donato » Fri May 06, 2005 11:36 am

Go for the VoyagerS. Just start off by adding three or four giving you four or five voice polyphony. Buying that many at once you might get a good deal if you shop around. Probably looking at another $4700 to $6400 depending on if you get 3 or 4 more- which really isn't that bad when you think about it! Hmmmmmm...

rwkj

Post by rwkj » Fri May 06, 2005 7:23 pm

GregAE,

Thanks for the lead. I never considered SE stuff before, I naively thought they just made rackmount monosynths. I checked out the specs and was pretty impressed. It seems like a do-all+end-all solution. It is about a couple of grand above what I was looking to spend. At the same token as donato points out that around that price range you can get 2 to 3 RME's and have 3-4 voices and I can use my multimoog for leads. I'm definately checking out the omega-8. There's a dealer not too far from me and hopefully there's a display unit. If not, I'll have to venture into the city to try out the Polyevolver,Omega-8,+the RME's towards the end of the month(just in time for MoogFest on the 31st and Kraftwerk, Jun.1st!!). Well, I ruled out one option, that being trying to conjure up a witch doctor remedy to get polyphony via additional oscillator modules. Anyone out there with thoughts on the omega-8?

donato

Post by donato » Fri May 06, 2005 9:52 pm

From Sound On Sound's October 2004 review of the Omega 8:

pros
Well built and solid.
Flexible voicing with or without add-on filter boards.
Flexible modulation (for an analogue polysynth).
Simple and accessible operating system and editing.

cons
Limited multitimbrality.
On the review model, voices had a tendency to drop out unpredictably.
Many of the important controls are quantised at a low resolution.
Poorly calibrated filters.
Some bugs remain.

summary
The Omega 8 promises much, and sounds good, but still suffers from bugs and limitations. It will nonetheless appeal to a wealthy analogue aficionados, for whom its very nature will overcome all objections.

donato

Post by donato » Fri May 06, 2005 9:53 pm

You may want to ask more and do a search at the analog forum at sonicstate.com's The Gas Station, and perhaps harmonycentral.com's keyboard forum.

little doodler

Post by little doodler » Thu May 12, 2005 3:02 am

I have an Omega and it does still have a few minor bugs. Like the arpeggiator does not work, but other than that there are absolutely no problems. You definitely need to listen to this synth. It is truly wonderful.