Electric Blue finish

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
pelican1

Electric Blue finish

Post by pelican1 » Tue May 03, 2005 10:03 pm

How well do you think the finish on the electric blue will hold up over the years? They look amazing, but I would hate to have the sparkles start flaking off in 10-15 years. Anyone seen one in person?

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Thu May 05, 2005 5:35 am

I haven't seen one in person either and I can't make anything from the lousy pic in moog's site. I suppose all the sparkles will go in less than 5 years.

Maybe someone here has a clear photo?

8)

pelican1

Post by pelican1 » Thu May 05, 2005 7:41 am

no one has seen one yet? Wondering if there's some sort of lacquer over the sparkles or what?

monads

Post by monads » Thu May 05, 2005 11:56 am

Does anyone have one of these versions? When the AE popped up alot of users begin posting pics but no one has gotton that excited about the EB.

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Thu May 05, 2005 12:56 pm

I think the thing looks too much like an AE without the badge. I think it is a bit of a gimmick really, and even if I didn't own a Voyager, I doubt I'd consider an EB. I'd probably look for a second hand SE, actually.
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

bosonob

Electric Blue finish...

Post by bosonob » Thu May 05, 2005 1:01 pm

I have indeed seen the finish first hand at a local Music Store. Under normal light the finish does not exhibit a great deal of sparkle. I did not have but 10-15 sec. up close to see it. It looked very much like a matte black finish, but again only a short time to see it. I will look in more detail on Friday afternoon and report back. Also, I noticed that the control pots did not feel the same as mine (Walnut Performer '04). Not saying a bad feel but not as "tight" a feel. Just keep in mind it was a fast take on it. I will play the instrument and take notes on comparison to my performer.

Yours,
Stefan

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Thu May 05, 2005 2:10 pm

Regarding knobs, there is a big difference between the potentiometers (pots) on the VX-351 and the pots on the CP-251. The 351 pots feel 'tighter' than the 251, they have a bit more resistance when you turn 'em and have a feeling of substance. The pots on my Performer are the same - a substantive feel that speaks 'quality'.

By contast, the 251 pots are looser - much easier to turn. They don't have the same feel. I wouldn't say cheap, they don't give the same impression of quality. Never had a problem with them, they just feel different.

Hope the EB uses the same pots as the Performer edition. The Voyager just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

rwkj

Post by rwkj » Thu May 05, 2005 3:05 pm

When it comes to the finish on the EB, I could care less. I could do without the fractal blue finish. I think they should of forgot about the finish and just released it as is and forget the sparkle stuff. I own the AE version and I'm kind of glad they released the EB cause AE owners won't really need to worry about obsolescense of backlit lamps for the front panel which was a concern of mine when I purchased the AE Voyager.

Paul W

Re: Electric Blue finish

Post by Paul W » Thu May 05, 2005 5:10 pm

pelican1 wrote:How well do you think the finish on the electric blue will hold up over the years? They look amazing, but I would hate to have the sparkles start flaking off in 10-15 years. Anyone seen one in person?
That's what I've got, I bought this model for the backlighting (the brightness knob was the very first one I figured out - even before the volume. :-)

The blue flake really isn't noticable except in bright light. The sample photo they have on the site must have been taken in direct sunlight or something. It might look freaky under stage lighting, also I wonder how it would look under a black light...

The flake is a laquer undercoat, it's not like they pasted glitter onto the thing. To answer your question, I'm not a furniture maker so really you'd have to buy one and wait 10-15 years. Probably a worthwhile experiment.