Need help updating Voyager OS.

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Boeing 737-400

Need help updating Voyager OS.

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:22 am

I have got MidiOX, and I don't know where to start. Ideally I would like to back up my current OS 1.0, and patches first., in case I bugger things up.

How do I set up MidiOX?

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:06 pm

Any one? :?

ticker

Post by ticker » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:39 am

Hmm, I have not touched OS 1.0 so not really sure what you can or can't do with it. The earliest OS I see on the Moog site is 1.5. If it were me, I would not worry about backing that OS 1.0 up. The procedures for doing this kinda stuff (backing up patches and upgrading your OS) is pretty simple really.

Generally, it goes like this:

1) Ensure MidiOX is installed (or whatever the equivalent is for MAC if you use a MAC).
2) Ensure MIDI cables are connected (easiest to have your Voyager connected directly to your computer; no other MIDI connections).
3) Configure MidiOX to receive Sysex data if you are backing something up off of your Voyager -or- configure MidiOX to send Sysex data* if you are updating the OS on the Voyager. For anything Sysex-related in MidiOX, I use the Sysex Pane by clicking View/Sysex and clicking the desired menu items; for example click file/send Sysex file to send a sysex file to the Voyager. The OS updates are sysex files btw.
4) Access the Voyager display panel by tapping the Master button and look for obvious items within. Such as
- 'Send System ROM' = Use that to back up the three OS Banks (banks A,B,C - these are completely different than your presets)**
- 'Send Boot System' = Use that to back up the data which boots the Voyager
- 'Send Preset(s) = Use to back up your presets
- 'Receive Update' = Use this to receive a Voyager OS update. Read the release notes included in the software update for more info.. The most important thing in updating your OS is to read the instructions included with each release carefully. I would suggest reading the installation instructions thoroughly at least 2 or 3 times before you actually attempt. It'll help you understand what's going on better.

You have to apply OS updates one at a time. If you are on OS 1.0 then first update to 1.5 and then 2.1. And finally, 2.5. Each time you complete an update, power off the Voyager and then power it back up to be sure the update really did take and to watch your system come up. You'll feel better if you do. You can check the version by watching the display panel as it boots or by using the menu system.

Like I said, I would not bother backing up OS 1.0... that's just me though. Proceed at your own risk! If you choose to not back up your OS then ignore menu options such as Send System ROM and Send Boot System. Once you do your first update, you'll be doing the ones afterwards very quickly and without being so nervous :)

* In the Sysex panel be sure to bump up the delay in millisecond for the data buffer or else you will likely have transfer failures (don't freak if this happens, just try again after bumping the values up).
** I bet OS 1.0 has only banks A and B, since OS 1.5 only has that.

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:45 pm

Cheers, that makes sense.

The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get MidiOX to receive sysex. Is it "receive manual dump" ?

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:09 pm

Forget that, I managed to do it. But I can't get the Voyager to receive sysex at all. On the Voyager's screen it says "failed" then its waiting for System Exclusive data.

ticker

Post by ticker » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:53 pm

When you load the file in to MidiOX and send it to the Voyager, does the MIDI light on the Voyager flash red? Is there a progress indicator on the Voyager panel that moves prior to the 'failed' message coming up? If so, increase the buffers in MidiOX (read original post for more info).

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:30 pm

I rebooted the Voyager after clearing the OS, and tried again and it did the trick.
Step 11 – Factory Setup Menu
If you’re updating from Version 1.5 , you’re not done yet!
Version 2.1 has many new features – presets created in older versions of Voyager
software may behave strangely until the new features are initialized, because they may
have random values stored in memory for the new functions. Any time you import a
bank of presets created from an older version of Voyager Software, you will need to go
through this Initialization procedure. Go to Master Mode and select “4.4 Copyright Info”
and press ENTER. Press the +1 button to enter the “Factory Setup Menu”
Step 12 – Initialize Envelope Gates
Select the function “2.3 Env. Gates F/A” and press ENTER. The Screen will prompt:
“Reset the Env Gates Filter/Amplitude for all Preset Sounds? Yes/No” Select Yes and
press ENTER.
Step 13 – Initialize Pot Mapping
Select the function “Pot Mapping” and press ENTER. The screen will prompt: “Reset
the Pot Mapping function of all Preset Sounds? Yes/No”. Select Yes and Press ENTER.
Step 14 - Initialize Clock Divider
This function can be skipped if you are upgrading from Version 1.5, which already
contains the Clock Divider function. Definitely skip this if your presets have your own
stored values! If you are upgrading from an earlier version of software. Select the
function “Clock Divider” and press ENTER. The screen will prompt: “Reset the Clock
Divider Values of all Preset Sounds? Yes/No” Select Yes and press ENTER.
Step 15 – Initialize Shaping 1&2
Select the function “Shaping 1&2” and press ENTER. The screen will prompt: “Reset
Shaping 1&2 Functions of all Preset Sounds? Yes/No”. Select Yes and press ENTER.
Step 16 - Initialize Touch Surface Destinations
This function can be skipped if you are upgrading from Version 1.5, which already
contains the Touch Surface Destination function – though the Touch Surface Gate
Destination was not previously implemented. In this case, you may have to go in and
change the Touch Surface Gate Destination to your liking. Definitely skip step 17 if your
presets have your own stored values other than the defaults (cutoff,spacing,
resonance)! If you are upgrading from an earlier version of software Select the function
“T.S. XYAG Dest.” and press ENTER. The screen will prompt: “Reset the Touch Surface XYA
& Gate Setup of all Preset Sounds? Yes/No”. Select Yes and press ENTER. Press CURSOR
to get back to the Master Mode menu.
This completes the installation of version 2.1 and the initialization of the new features
in your Voyager.
Do I have to do that every time I try different presets (my old ones, and the ones from this site)? I did them all except for 14 and 16.

Also, I had a huge problem trying to get the pitch wheel at 0. The trim pot was far too sensitive, but most of the time the wheel returns to 0 now.