Voyager MIDI weirdness... Help!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Cruel Hoax

Voyager MIDI weirdness... Help!

Post by Cruel Hoax » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Hi there. Up 'til now, I've been recording my Voyager as audio, into Ableton Live (nice for time-correction) and Nuendo (which I'm slowly learning to like).

Now, however, I want to record MIDI parts, so as to be able to play with the timing of events before committing the part to audio. Yeah, I know; it's cheatin', but it offers more flexibility and song arrangement options.

My problem is this:

I've turned Local control Off within the Voyager. My newly created and record-enabled MIDI track is set to send MIDI back to the Voyager.

But:

If I play a single note, I get no sound. No MIDI activity indicator on Nuendo.

However, if I hold down one key, then subsequent notes work as expected.

I've tried changing Trigger Modes within the Voyager, to no avail.

Other MIDI gear I own seems to properly send all notes, including the first one, and doesn't need to have one key "held down" in order to sound notes via MIDI.

Believe it or not, I'm not stupid (I don't think). Recording the Voyager works fine within Pro Tools (to which I don't have access at home). This is a legit copy of Nuendo, dongle and all, and it's never given me any problems before when recording audio, or using ReWire instruments.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for your time.

-Hoax

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:10 am

There are several setting in the MASTER menu. Number 4.2 sets the Key chain value. Set this to OFF. This should help.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:59 am

Yes, go to the Master menu and check out "MIDI key order" - your Voyager seems to think it's the second unit in a polyphonic chain of Voyagers/RME's. Wouldn't it be nice if it was? ;) Since it isn't, turn this feature off. I think Qwave is referring to the exact same setting, I just remember the name of the setting and not its menu number.

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:10 pm

That did it!

Thanks, friends, for the useful info, and the fast replies!

-Hoax

(Of course, now I'm contemplating recording a legato line, putting the V-ger in Trigger Once mode, and doing multiple overdubs with different MIDI Key Order settings.)

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:12 pm

Extra special thanks! I needed this to finish my Voyager composition for the Vintage Synth Explorer contest, which can be found here.

Check it out! The compositions are going live tomorrow (the 17th), and at least one of 'em was done entirely on a Voyager.

-Hoax

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:16 am

Which one is yours? Are you using any kind of sequerncer other than midi?

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:44 pm

Mine is the one made with the Voyager!

Can't tell anybody until after the contest. if you want to, go to the Vintage Synth Explorer Forums and discuss! (Go to General Synthesizers.)

-Hoax