Moogerfoogers and synths questions...stereo???

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
donato

Moogerfoogers and synths questions...stereo???

Post by donato » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:53 pm

What's the deal with these fantastic little effects. I have a Voyager and several other synths. Some have two outputs (my synths) and some have one. It appears the moogerfoogers only have one input. How would one go about using these effects properly with a device (such as the Voyager) with only one input. Does that mean I would have to use a mono input (how unfortunate?)? Seems like a drag, no?

Lashed

Post by Lashed » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:55 am

Yes as far as i know,the voyager is monophonic... anyway for music stereo is limited eg in a track u cannot go below 200hz or above 2000hz becuase when you try to cut the track to vinyl it will break the cutting lathe..(they are v expensive) any good engineer would either refuse to cut youre track or cut it at a ridiculously low volume..But i AM NO EXPERT i'm just sharing some knowlage of the music industry hope it helps

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:34 am

Donato -

The Voyager is a 'stereo' instrument in that there are left and right outputs. The Voyager’s oscillators are processed post-mixer by two filters and two VCA's, which creates two outputs (left and right) from the same mono source (the oscillators). The filter cutoff frequencies can be offset from one another using the Spacing knob. This gives a stereo effect.

To use the Voyager monophonically, connect the Voyager's left output to your Moogerfooger input AND insert a cord or adapter plug into the Voyager's right output - but don't connect this one to anything. (if you connect just the left output the Voyager will sum its left and right outputs together into a mono signal, but this isn't the same as having just a single mono output). Connected this way, you've got the same monophonic output as the original MiniMoog.

For the record, a lot of synths are monophonic. The inclusion of built-in effects takes their mono signal and creates stereo outputs. Sometimes this is what you want for a track, other times it's not. Your call, but don't be afraid to record things in mono. A lot of great recordings were made this way.

G

monads

Post by monads » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:19 pm

What you can use is an Insert Cable. Plug it into the Voyager's "mix out/filter in" and hook the other ends up to a moogerfooger. I do this with the Murf MF-105. Works great. You could also hook up these little effects to your audio interface through the out/ins and use it as an send effect in your sequencer.

It's best to record most instruments in mono. Alot of these synths have stereo outs and effects built in. What happens when you record all of this in stereo? You'll end up crowding the stereo image and will run into mixing problems.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:15 am

You can also use a Y cable that sums left and right into one signal and then feed this to the Moogerfooger.

Yannis
8)

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:28 am

ikazlar -

Summing two signals using a Y cable is NOT a good idea - you run the risk of damaging your equipment.

You're best bet is to use a mixer - even a passive one (an ART Accessories PowerMix I, for example) is better than just a Y cable. If you have a Moogerfooger CP-251, you can use the built-in mixer for this purpose (just watch the DC offset).

G