Suggestions for organzing my gear?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ticker

Suggestions for organzing my gear?

Post by ticker » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:58 pm

I've got a mini AE and a Lead 3 on a two-tier stand. About to buy the CP-251 and VX-351 and was wondering if anyone can recommend a way to get the expanders within hands reach of my stand unit? I'd like to remain seated while I do my tweaking rather than crawl around or do awkward things. I don't do any gigging. I imagine the best way is to grab some sort of rack system that stands beside my synths? Any advice or links is appreciated.

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:42 pm

I had the same problem when I got my Voyager. I was limited on space and wanted all of the MF's, the CP, and the VX close to the Voyager. My solution was to buy a 2-tier keboard stand and to put a dual 16 space side-by-side equipment rack on the top tier of the keyboard stand.

There is a seller on Ebay, racktopiaracks, that sells these racks. They are good quality and not too heavy. I was able to fit all 5 of the MF's, the CP and the VX along with a patchbay, an EQ and other gear into the rack and it all sits above the Voyager. Something else that's nice is that an Oxygen 8 fits inside of the rack too.

You could put the Nord on top of the rack or get another stand if you have room for it. If you'd like, I can email you a picture of the set up so you can see it for yourself.
Gear List: Voyager AE with VX-351, CP-251, MF-101 through MF-105; TR-808, TR-606 and SH-32; Matrix 6R; Prophet 600; Triton, ER-1, ES-1, EA-1, and Wavestation A/D; Virus Rack; TurboPhatt; DM-Pro; PolyEvolver; Micro Q; Nord Lead

prize

Post by prize » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:13 pm

I would be interested in seeing a pic. Can you include it in this thread ?

monads

Post by monads » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:07 am

It can be a pain if you don't have a desk to place them on or yea a rack. But I really wouldn't want a rack just for them or mixed with other outboard gear like compressors, EQs etc. A rack with other analog modular stuff would be ideal.

That being said I have a two tier Quiklok stand with a Motif6 on the base and the AE on the second. One thing cool about this stand is you can add an expansion 4 or 6 space rack that rests on the bottom bar of the stand. Perfect for the VX and CP. Of course you'll have to look down below the base keyboard to tweak. Just another option. Lengai ways sounds better. Gonna have to check it out.

bbbodie

Post by bbbodie » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:18 am

I found this whilst cruising other forums...I'm looking to build one of my own.

Extra's needed:

PatchBay - I ordered a 48 input.

Note that the lower level has 4 MF, not 3...the standard MF Rack kit only hosts 3...so this may be a creative endeavor to mount.

I also spotted the MF and CP has spacers on the sides (different than the standard rack)

But a nice bit of kit with home built wood frame...takes me back to the ol' Modular days 8) Now all it needs is a coat of stain and some sealer to withstand wear...

http://tinyurl.com/5c3u9
Whether you think you can or you can't ...you're right!
Minimoog, Voyager, Liberation, Taurus, Phatty
Arp 2600s & Ody
Studio 100m
Korgs, Nords and more

Unabashed self-promotion:
http://www.rlowery.org/Projects.htm

Seamus4

Where to place the CP/VX?

Post by Seamus4 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:14 am

I don't gig, and my Voyager is in a spare room on a large computer desk. I modified a kwik Lok desk-top stand so it had a smaller footprint and took less space up. it's just the right height to bring the VX/CP above the Voyager when placed behind.

Being a fairly new house the walls are plasterboard with cavities, and I was thinking about slicing a lump of the wall out and fixing the rack plate flush into the wall abover the Voyager. Cool..... Needless to say, my Wife's not too keen on that little brainwave (what's wrong with these people)????

Seriously though, I have found that I barely use the Rack mounted VX/CP as there's enough in the Voyager to keep me interested as it is. The VX/CP were a bit of a waste of money to me and i'm seriously thinking of listing them on eBay.

ticker

Post by ticker » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:19 pm

Thanks. I will probably grab a rack. I want to start looking in to adding on mondules (the Doepfer stuff looks neat) and rack-mounting those seems like not a bad idea either. My computer desk in the music room is actually an old coffee table. Ack! Yeah, it's not a very convenient set up I have going on here. The bad thing is, I'm moving in 2 months!

OLFAudio

Post by OLFAudio » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:20 am

This is my rack setup. The table top stand was $20 at Sam Ash. When you are budgeting your rack spaces keep in mind that although the MF rackmount is only 6 space you will need another for cables.

Here's the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/christrice/PhotoAlbum11.html

ticker

Post by ticker » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:03 am

Hey, a tabletop rack system! That may be the best option yet for me. I think this is probably all I need right now, something small and cheap. The only mountable stuff I have right at this moment are my filterbank and a cp-251. I'm still scouting E-bay for a vx-351. I'm limited in space now (using a small spare bedroom for music gear) and will probably be stuck with another tight space when we move in a couple months. At only 20 bucks, I could afford for this arrangement to be cast aside at a later time though even if I move in to a larger rack system later perhaps this would still be useful!

Thanks!