Problems Fixed???

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
KazRemark

Problems Fixed???

Post by KazRemark » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:32 am

Hi,
I am wondering about some of the problems with early Voyagers (some of which I experienced on my own Signature Edition). I haven't played any Voyager other than my own, and am happy with it, but I am wondering if the upgrades (its been in three times in the last few years) performed by Moog on it basically bring it to the same level as the brand new ones, or whether mine is in any way stunted.
Just curious.
Thanks
Zak

monads

Post by monads » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:20 am

What are some of the problems you're experiencing or problems you notice? If it can be fixed through an upgrade I'd recommend it. Especially for your Signature (collector's factor, and who want's a faulty unit?).

martin

Post by martin » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:34 am

definitely try everything out before you buy. avoid the early models. please follow my thread below (minimoog voyager, nothanks). not meant to deter buyers by any means, but i am having such a fight to avoid paying through my nose to get the thing up to spec.
be warned... :o(
if ANYTHING is wrong, send it back and get a replacement. or get something cheaper and better.

KazRemark

Post by KazRemark » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:19 am

Nothing in particular wrong with it anymore, as far as I can tell, but I keep reading such negative things here about the early modells, that I wonder whether I sholdn't compare to a newer voyager, just to make sure mine isn't sub par.

MC

Post by MC » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:52 am

I've got an early model SE. One problem that has surfaced was that the units would be noisy with the master volume set at 5. This was quickly fixed. There are no other problems with early Voyagers. And if you bought one that had the noise problem, it is a warranty fix.

KazRemark

Post by KazRemark » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:06 am

Yeah thats one of the problems that ended up getting fixed in my unit. Wasn't there a problem with noisy envelopes at some settings as well. I used to have this, but haven't noticed it any more since I sent it in the last time. Again, I am very happy with my Signature as is, I just keep running into these rumors that old modells are lemmons, and was wondering whether thats garbage, or a valid point. The only voyager I have played is my own, so no way to compare as of yet.

martin

Post by martin » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:09 am

well, i have SN 13xx and i had a whole bunch of problems, such as a miscalibrated pitch bend wheel, problems with the touch scren (have no idea what was wrong with it. will see once i get it back if anything has been fixed). also the silly trademark thing (not at all a technical bug, but i did have to wait half a year and go through a lang time without any instruments. was sad.)
plus, be aware that in oder to keep up to date you need a pc and some peripherals. my mistake was that i thought i could live without a pc, internet connections etc. i hate computers... that's why i wanted an analog synth... the voyager needs all those extras.

KazRemark

Post by KazRemark » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:21 am

Sorry to hear that man. I have voyager nr. 118. Initially mine had some problems too. It randomly died on me one day and just stopped working, so i had to send it in. Then about half a year later, it happened again. IT was sent in again. And then last summer, I had to get it fixed because an electrical spike in my houses electrical wiring, fried the resistors from the audio outs (completely freak accident). Other than that, the Voyager has been really great, and havent had a single problem since then, which is why i was wonering about all the complaints here. I wouldn't sell your voyager, insist that they fix it, and keep it. It s a great instrument, and with the level of the current OS, there isnt really much reason to need to upgrade the OS constantly.