Moog tips and tricks

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
ikazlar

Moog tips and tricks

Post by ikazlar » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:00 am

OK,

I suggest that each user posts here a sound design tip. In this way we can all benefit from this list. It doesn't matter whether it's an old one - there are always new people to sound design

I' ll go ahead and post two:

1. To make a sound more full try mixing the oscillators at different volumes, i.e. VCO1 = 6, VCO2 = 5, VCO3 = 7.

2. You can make very animated pulse waveforms by applying an LFO + inverted LFO to the pulse width. To do that you need a CP-251 to invert the waveform. Triangle waves work best for me.

Go ahead :)

Yannis

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:50 pm

I'm sure everybody here is sick of me saying that you need to make a non-interrupting insert cable, but you really should. That way you can add to the V-gers oscillators, rather than replacing 'em. Also, when feeding back, you don't skew the filter response (which you do if you plug one output back into the External Input).

I've recently been feeding rhythms to my newly-acquired Sherman Filterbank, and using the Envelope CV Out to control the V-ger.

You should probably take a look at this thread , too.

-Hoax

prairedust

Post by prairedust » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:32 am

I've recently been feeding rhythms to my newly-acquired Sherman Filterbank, and using the Envelope CV Out to control the V-ger

so hoax, how do you lke the sherman2?
i've been eyeing that for a few months

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:52 am

It's actually a Sherman 1. I traded it -even swap- for my Akai MFC42.

The Akai is much cleaner and more predictable. The user interface is exceptionally well-executed. The distortion is either on or off (a state which I previously described as "either off or I-will-kill-you-now.") Now that I own a Filterbank, I can see that my previous estimations of Death by Distortion are quite modest and polite in comparison.

I'm completely happy with the trade. Even if the Sherman had audio in and out jacks, I'd be satisfied. Fact is, though, you can send -say- a drum loop to the "Trigger ADSR" input and rhythmically pulsate not only the Filterbank's filters, but also any available CV-controllable device (like a Voyager).

The MFC42 was too vanilla for my taste. The Sherman adds the perfect amount of evil sonic destruction. I'm happy with my trade.

-Hoax

LWG

Post Subject

Post by LWG » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:33 am

Cruel Hoax wrote:It's actually a Sherman 1. I traded it -even swap- for my Akai MFC42.
Hoax,

Nice piece of kit. Did you get it primarily for the distortion?

Regards

LWG

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:15 pm

The distortion was a big part of it, as was its general weirdness and modularity compared to the Akai.

Don't get me wrong; the MFC42 is a great unit. In dual-notch filter mode with the phaser kicked in, it's the thing for electric piano. It's extremely well-designed, ergonomically and interface-wise. It really is Built Like a Tank. Filter sweeps are smooth, and it's very predictible. But it's just...not...Evil.

The Filterbank seems to have its moods. Sometimes, you hit it and it decides to hit back. It's like the Moog in this way; it's like you're working with it, not merely telling it what to do. It's organic and alive, and I love it!

Plus it has modular-style inputs and outputs, which is awesome!

-Hoax

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:57 am

Hi again,

one of the secrets for bass sounds is of course, snappy envelopes. In case you didn't know logarithmic attacks tend to give a fuller body to the sound which is especially useful not only for bass sounds but drums as well.

To get a logarithmic attack you need to modulate the attack of the envelope with itself. With positive amounts you get logarithmic attacks whereas with negative settings you get exponential. You can try this with LFOs as well.

Use a CP-251 and/or VX-351 for this.

Yannis

corkyburger

Post by corkyburger » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:48 pm

To get a logarithmic attack you need to modulate the attack of the envelope with itself. With positive amounts you get logarithmic attacks whereas with negative settings you get exponential. You can try this with LFOs as well.

So can I not achieve this without the CP-251 or VX-351?

I thought I got pretty snappy percussion and bass but if there is a way to get it even more snappy then i am all for it.

Regards

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:29 pm

Hello,

I don't think it can be done without an external module. Use the Rate control input and adjust the envelope's duration. It is a pseudo-effect.

8)

Cruel Hoax

Post by Cruel Hoax » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:41 pm

I don't think it can be done without an external module.
Sure, it can. You can't affect volume of all 3 Oscs at once, but you can definitely skew the envelope shape.

Set your Filter Env as a programmable source for Mod 2. Set Destination as filter cutoff (for your filter) or level for each of the Oscs.

Technically speaking, you aren't modding the envelope with itself, but it does speed up an envelope (sounds like it's curving upward, but what do I know?)

-Hoax

EDIT: It also makes the Decay slower. Use Velocity as a shaper, and you have velocity sensitive Envelope speed: not only is the attack faster when hit harder, but the sound stays bright a bit longer. Feels nice and natural.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:10 am

Set your Filter Env as a programmable source for Mod 2. Set Destination as filter cutoff (for your filter) or level for each of the Oscs.
Oh.. I missed that... But I suppose you will miss a different envelope for the filter.
Technically speaking, you aren't modding the envelope with itself, but it does speed up an envelope
Again it's a pseudo effect.

Yannis
8)

corkyburger

volume modulation

Post by corkyburger » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:58 am

thanks for the tips..

whenever I try modulating the volume of the oscilators it has no effect. this can't be right can it?

any suggestions?

CB

LWG

Re: volume modulation

Post by LWG » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:37 pm

corkyburger wrote:whenever I try modulating the volume of the oscilators it has no effect. this can't be right can it?

CB,

Modulating individual oscillator levels in the mixer section will add to the level you manually dial in with the volume control for that individual oscillator, but it will not exceed the maximum value. Decrease the osc mixer volume to a lower value (1 or 2, for example). When a controller is then assigned to the function, it will be more noticeable.

Regards,

LWG

sinus

Post by sinus » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:02 pm

ikazlar wrote:Hi again,

one of the secrets for bass sounds is of course, snappy envelopes. In case you didn't know logarithmic attacks tend to give a fuller body to the sound which is especially useful not only for bass sounds but drums as well.

Yannis
I just tried to do this like this:
VX-351 Env out to Env Rate,
am I right, is this how you do it ?
It´s hardly recognizable whats happening,
just a bit more snappy? is this right ?
I also gave a litle LFO modulation to the Resonance, Reso set to 6,that makes the sound more like with my old minimoog the snappiness is fading in and out a bit.

ikazlar

Post by ikazlar » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:00 pm

just tried to do this like this:
VX-351 Env out to Env Rate,
am I right, is this how you do it ?
It´s hardly recognizable whats happening,
just a bit more snappy? is this right ?
I also gave a litle LFO modulation to the Resonance, Reso set to 6,that makes the sound more like with my old minimoog the snappiness is fading in and out a bit.
You're in the right direction. The secret is to be obsessive about it. :wink: