Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

MIDI CC of Pot Mapping

Tips and techniques for the Voyager

MIDI CC of Pot Mapping

Postby digimonk » Thu May 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Anyone knows the MIDI CC chart of Pot Mapping? Or it uses the meta data?
I bought the Voyager Editor. Then I guess the Pop Mapping shall be MIDI CC data or meta data.
I have built a multi-touches control panel on iPad and now trying to build the control panel of
Pot Mapping on iPad.
Thanks!
digimonk

Re: MIDI CC of Pot Mapping

Postby digimonk » Sun May 29, 2011 10:34 am

well...no one knows even Moog guys?
digimonk

Postby till » Mon May 30, 2011 2:04 pm

RTFM.

http://moogmusic.com/sites/default/file ... _combo.pdf

page 76 to 78 list all available continous controller numbers.

As you can see, the CCs are mainly focused on the knobs being transmitted. And due to the combination of two CCs to get a better then the typical 128 values per knob CCs, there are not enough CCs (128 minus special reserved ones) to get every aspect controllable via CCs. You may use SysEx for adjusting pot-mapping remotely.
But would it make sense to control this parameter remotely if the synth itself has such a good user interface?
I rather prefer adjusting this on the Voyager itself. And pot-mapping setting are normally seldom changed while playing or recording a track.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence: Prodigy * Minimoog * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty
till

Postby digimonk » Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks, Till

The Pot mapping uses SysEX? Do you know where to find the SysEx chart of Voyager RME,please?
I'm trying to make up a control panel on iPad, actually. That will be cool if the Pot Mapping can
be remote directly on iPad. I'm using the Moog Editor by SoundTower now.

The control panel uses TouchOCS and the test version has been done. I'll share it for free then.
And even I made a Live page for live performance and sound design. There are multi X-Y pads
for different combination of parameters of Voyager.

I noticed that you shared the Moog Editor. I'll try it soon. Thank you!
digimonk

Postby till » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:21 am

You will have to request the sound buffer and get the midi. Then change the needed values, and dump it back into the Voyager. I don't know about a direct sysex command to change non CCs controllable parameters in a direct way in some other synths.

The sysex details for a single sound are either available on the Moog pages, or ask Rudi Linhard (he does the coding for the Voyagers) for it. I am not sure if the document I got here is officially released. Rudi is also answering every detailed questions about the software functions here on the forum.

I noticed that you shared the Moog Editor. I'll try it soon. Thank you!

2-Voyager-edit (links below in the siganture for the Mac and PC version) is not an editor. Have a look here:

You load stored single sound sysex files and the little program check if the will be over write patches when load them into the Voyager (by other software). It will then do a little change in the sysex to route the sound in the edit buffer when saved "Export Sound" and loaded into a Voyager later by other software. So you will be able to test a sound without overwriting your stored patches. And you can save them after loading where ever you like. Or just don'e save the if you don't like the sound.

I don't need a software remote control for the Voyager. It got a real nice hardware user interface. But if you use an RME somewhere down in a rack, it might be useful to do it in a remote way.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence: Prodigy * Minimoog * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty
till

Postby digimonk » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

that's great!! Thank you so much, Till!!
I'll try it and contact with Rudi soon.

I just released a test version of the control panel for iPad. Here is the link:
http://web.me.com/bspstudio/DigimonkSou ... _iPad.html

Thanks again!
digimonk

Postby m0rb1d » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 am

wow thanks for posting that!
m0rb1d

Postby pb » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 am

Hi

Two questions:
1) Is it possible to change a single parameter value with a sysex command, e.g. only the value of the "FILTER A POLE"?

2) Otherwise, as suggested above, one has to request the current preset, alter that sysex dump, and send it back. Can anyone provide me with the documentation of the sysex implementation, i.e. how a preset if defined can be sysex?

The very best
Peder
pb

Return to Voyager Forum