Database for storing PHYSICAL patches? Feedback Please!

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Seamus4444

Database for storing PHYSICAL patches? Feedback Please!

Post by Seamus4444 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:05 am

Hi all. I have a Voyager with VX-351 & CP-251, plus expression pedal & footswitch. The Voyager obviously can't store the patch lead placements between all these bits of kit, and it's a real pain trying to keep track of all that spaghetti!

I'm currently in the early design stages of writing an Access database where I can store all my physical patches, and print them out on a one pager, so they can be stored in a clip file and be kept alonside my Voyager for easy referral.

The main idea at the moment is to have easy to complete forms, to record the source and detination of each patch cord using drop down selectors in the database, and a number of reports for printing hard copies. The database will cater for all connections between the voyager back panel, VX, and CP, and have the basic ability to note which preset the patch was created for use with.

It's great that the Voyager has Midi, but not all of use have it available to us, so next up would be to expand the database so that I can record new presets that I come up with on a simple blank form (printed from the database), as i'm "tweaking" the Voyager, and then transfer the settings into the database for a safe keeping, along with the patch cord placements. While this is never going to be as accurate as storing the files via Midi on a PC, it's will at least let you get back somewhere close to the sounds you created, if you don't have the ability to store your presets any other way.

For Midi users, the database could still be very useful, as the Midi/sysex files won't save your spaghetti!

This is going to take some time because that's a lot to go at, so i'm going to start with the patch side of things first (which is most important to me), and develop the rest afterward. I've already started on this by mapping out the voyager, cp and vx. I have not accounted for "Virtual" patches yet, as this is something that I rarely use. I may include this if feedback insists, but it will take a little more research to make it accurate.

So what's the point of this posting? I intend to share the database with anyone using these forums, who might find it useful, so i'm basically just after some early feedback on what you would like to see in there. It's a lot easier to plan things in from the start, than to retro-fix these things! Obviously if the feeback is "We don't really need or want this", then I'll just throw something together to cater for myself!

At a later date I intend to add a set of Moogerfoogers into the mix, but I've bankrupted myself buying what I already have, so I will not be including these in the database until I can get hold of a set. These things need to be accurate and I would not be happy adding them in until I have them in front of me. The manuals just don't provide what I need to be sure that all the functions & controls are accurately catered for.

If the feeback is good, i'll post again when I have a useable "beta" and send a copy to anyone who wants it for more feedback, before completing it. A couple of things to bear in mind are, 1) This will be Microsoft Access database, and you'll need a copy of Access to run it. 2) It will take me a fair amount of time as I have other projects on the go as well.

Cheers, Seamus.

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:35 am

Sounds like a useful tool. However, you are limiting your audience by implementing it in MS Access.

I'd suggest using VB and 'craft' your own data storage mechanism to make a stand-alone application.

I'm happy to take this offline if you want to bounce a few ideas around

BTW, why no MIDI ? Is it simply that you don't have a MIDI interface for your PC ?

Regards,

Kevin Bowden

Author of the Voyager Patch Librarian 'without the Librarian functionality' - www.obs.uk.com

monads

Post by monads » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:25 pm

I have the VX-351/CP-251. What I did was make up a Word file (very similar to the one listed in the Voyager manual, source/destination. I did the same thing for the CP-251. I however drew little pots on the page for Att. 1, 2 Offset, Master, Rise, Fall, etc. So it just becomes a simple of writing in the box 'this goes here' and circling the marks on pots or marking an approximation between them with a pen.

If my patch is to reference a diagram I'll put (PD) at the end of the name. Or maybe (PD*). This is so I know the patch is to reference some Patch Diagram I originally created. The asterisk is for optional. I then store the diagrams in a binder, titled and everything.

These are just a couple of ideas, but I found it works very well in my case. 9 times out of 10 I find I can get back to my patch this way using the VX-351/CP-251 combo. It all depends on how well you document...and those little pen marks on pots :)

monad