voyager OS updates

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
goldphinga

voyager OS updates

Post by goldphinga » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:56 am

Heres a list of updates i would like moog to implement for the voyager os

1.octave up and down via the touchpad using the extreme upper left and right corners of the pad to avoid changing other parameters
2.legato mode
3.filter tracking portamento
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

prairedust

upgrade advantages?

Post by prairedust » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:47 am

what are the advantages of update of OS, I currently have 2.0 AE, have downloaded 2.1 & 2.5, but I/m not sure of reason to upgrade. Also just bought Editor, have not loaded this up either....clueless

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:20 pm

well now that you bought the editor if you want to use it you will need to upgrade to 2.5. This os is required to use it. Most OS upgrades are good things, they add funtionality, fix bugs and add user feature requests. Some purists who use the moog strictly as a minimoog see no use for the OS and never update because they use the knobs and hand written patch sheets. It's all how you work that's the beauty of a machine like this that combines the best of analog genius with modern digital advancements like patch memory, pot mapping, etc. You can choose to work with it completely old school or take it to another level thanks to the modern OS, your chioce. But since you already laid down the cheese on the editor I asume you will want to update to 2.5 asap.

Qwave

Re: voyager OS updates

Post by Qwave » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:47 pm

goldphinga wrote:Heres a list of updates i would like moog to implement for the voyager os

1.octave up and down via the touchpad using the extreme upper left and right corners of the pad to avoid changing other parameters
2.legato mode
3.filter tracking portamento
My option to #1:
Please not on the pad !!! If I use the touch pad, I use all its range.

#2:
I is possible to play legato if the trigger is set to "Single Trigger" in the EDIT menue named "Trigger Modes". Therefor there is no update need to get legato playing notes.

#3:
I think this is not possible to change by means of software. It's due to the hardware the way it is.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

suthnear

Re: voyager OS updates

Post by suthnear » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:20 am

Qwave wrote:I is possible to play legato if the trigger is set to "Single Trigger" in the EDIT menue named "Trigger Modes". Therefor there is no update need to get legato playing notes.
goldphinga is talking about a different type of legato, Till: what is often called fingered portamento - i.e. no glide between staccato notes...

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:22 am

Legato is playing monophoni notes without a short pause between them. Its is not a way of using glide.

So you are asking to get glide only when playing notes legato?
This might not be that easy to do by software on a real analog synth.

Till "Qwave" Kopper

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Squarewave/]Squarewave Group[/url] member "waldorfian_qwave"

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:41 am

Qwave wrote:This might not be that easy to do by software on a real analog synth.
Given that it's possible to play a piece and turn the glide on and off as you play and have a sequencer record those changes and play them back, though, I shouldn't think it too difficult. As the voyager generates/receives a note on, it could switch on glide and increment a counter. When it generates/receives a note off, it decrements that counter. Glide remains on until the voyager receives a note off and counter = 0. I am sure there would be more to it than this and I don't know how much code space is left, but it would still be a very nice little feature...

Qwave

Post by Qwave » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:53 am

Good idea Suthnear !

Till "Qwave" Kopper

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:27 am

Ta

Let's hope Moog is reading, then.