snare sound and/or hard kicks w/ the Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
base1001

snare sound and/or hard kicks w/ the Voyager

Post by base1001 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:58 am

i am having problems making a snare and a useful kick/bass drum. i have tried starting from miami bass drop preset and get close but nothing to use by itself, i allways end up layering the sampled bass i pull from the Voyager with kicks from drum sessions i have recorded in the past or from sample cds, i want to be able to pull a full bass/kick drum that is hard, full, AND deep. i am sure it can be done, can someone point me in the direction or better yet lay down the directions from step one, please x 1000. i have not been able to get a snare sound out of the Voyager at all. :?:
[color=blue][i][size=84]sel[/size][/i][/color]

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:27 pm

Neither have I. Although I do get good ones from my Prophet-5. :(

I'm trying to recreate a snare/handclap to no avail.

countlove

Post by countlove » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:31 pm

You might have more luck here:

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/

Count

base1001

Post by base1001 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:50 pm

Boeing 737-400 wrote:Neither have I. Although I do get good ones from my Prophet-5. :(

I'm trying to recreate a snare/handclap to no avail.
the AE preset 121 "twister percussion" is close to a clap. the snare is tough.

base1001

Post by base1001 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:52 pm

countlove wrote:You might have more luck here:

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/

Count
i might be wrong, but i am guessing there are more Voyager users on this site. :)i have been with fp for some time now also.

Demokid

Post by Demokid » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:05 pm

Funny… I’ve tried to do some drum sounds on the Voyager but failed. I do great kicks and snares on my Pro~One. Listen to the album Speak And Spell with Depeche Mode a lot of Pro~One drums there. Vince Clark love the Pro~One and do a lot of snappy hard drums on the synth. My MS20 is great for snares and Simons drums. Why can’t my Voyager do drums??? :oops:

Regards
Demokid
Gearlist: Andromeda A6, Emu E4XT Ultra, Korg MS20, Minimoog Model D (incl.MIDI), Minimoog Voyager AE, Roland Jupiter-8 (MIDI), RE-301, Prophet~5 (Rev3.3 incl MIDI), Poly Evolver Keyboard, Pro~One, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Custom Studio-44

northern hope

Post by northern hope » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:39 pm

I've actually been able to get the greatest drum sounds of my life from the Voyager. I think part of the trick is using an analog sequencer, which is what I use to program and record all of my drums with. The strict/rigid timing and sharp tuning is what helps get the kind of snappy and punchy drum sounds you're probably aiming for. A Frostwave Fat Controller will do the job well and is relatively inexpensive. www.frostwave.com

The other way to go about it is to simply sample the sounds, which will allow you to shape and edit everything according to your liking.

I personally prefer the analog sequencer route, which retains the richness of the sound of the Voyager, while allowing you to still shape everything.

Kevin Bowden

Post by Kevin Bowden » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:14 pm

You might find some useful pointers in past Sound On Sound articles. Here's one I remember:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Apr02/a ... ts0402.asp

Yawgmoth

Post by Yawgmoth » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:07 am

I've programmed a full set of drums [bd, sd, oh, ch] with the Voyager. Its not as easy as with a Nord Modular but it can be done. I'll try to post a example of what i did when i'm in my studio.

LWG

Post Subject

Post by LWG » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:57 pm

Hello,

Percussion sounds are a bit easier on modulars because they often supply
you with simultaneous outputs for a pink and white noise source, in addition to more than one filter and vca (lin & exp).
Darker percussion sounds often requires a pink noise source, which is available on many synths.
The Voyager does most of the sounds mentioned on this thread, only its a bit different, as the noise source on the Vger is a pink/white blend.
With this type of noise source, the filter can play a greater role in the patching of percussion than the noise source itself.
The Vger's filter dips into subaudio range so experiment with this as well as filter ringing (set res just below oscillation and spike with a flat envelope; res will determine decay time).
In addition you can add some signal (triangle wave) from osc 2, with its octave at 32' and freq tuned down also. Volume only about 2 in the mixer section.
The key is that the Vger's noise source is not as "boomy" as a purely pink (or red) noise source and the filter can be used to compensate.
Good snares are a bit more difficult and it may be helpful to try more shallow cutoff slopes. If you have a MURF or bandpass filter to use in the insert loop on the Vger, they can be used to more accurately simulate the differing shell resonances of various types of snares.

Regards,

LWG

peter ripa

Post by peter ripa » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 pm

ive made all sorts of perc sounds with my voyager. among them some of the best bassdrums ive ever used
www.peterripa.com
http://www.peterripa.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=musik

Purusha

Post by Purusha » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:25 pm

for kick - try turning off the oscillators and putting resonance up high. Sweep the filter down with the envelope.

I've had some reasonable results that way.
Voyager Performer, Minitaur
Cubase 8.5, Ableton 9, various hardware sequencers
OSX El Capitan on MacPro (cylinder) and MacBookPro.

base1001

Post by base1001 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:21 pm

Yawgmoth wrote:I've programmed a full set of drums [bd, sd, oh, ch] with the Voyager. Its not as easy as with a Nord Modular but it can be done. I'll try to post a example of what i did when i'm in my studio.
links to track/s palease.

base1001

Post by base1001 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Kevin Bowden wrote:You might find some useful pointers in past Sound On Sound articles. Here's one I remember:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Apr02/a ... ts0402.asp
thank you thank you, interesting stuff, the noise section in the article is nice, although i don't have an 808, 909, or sh-101.

base1001

Post by base1001 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:25 pm

Demokid wrote:Funny… I’ve tried to do some drum sounds on the Voyager but failed. I do great kicks and snares on my Pro~One. Listen to the album Speak And Spell with Depeche Mode a lot of Pro~One drums there. Vince Clark love the Pro~One and do a lot of snappy hard drums on the synth. My MS20 is great for snares and Simons drums. Why can’t my Voyager do drums??? :oops:

Regards
Demokid
word, i like Depeche Mode