recreating Arturia minimoog V patches on the Voyager

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
mlanson

recreating Arturia minimoog V patches on the Voyager

Post by mlanson » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:34 pm

So, basically I liked the software version so much I bought the real thing.

Naturally the voyager is amazing beyond belief and nothing can compete with it, not trying to even hint at comparing the two... But I thought it would be easy to recreate my favorite arturia software patches on the voyager... it's not, I can't even come close... i thought I would just set the knobs to the same positions, and I'd get a richer, fuller, much better version of the same sound direction... I think maybe I'm just too new at this to successfully recreate these patches or maybe they're just too different because of the features unique to each on separately? The waveforms really through me since their are more waveforms on the software and the new filters on the voyager make it especially difficult for me to copy the software.

I'm a little disappointed because I put so much work into songs that sound a certain way based on the software and I can't seem to replace these sounds with real moog sounds that are still in that category of sound. (for some reason this sentence sounds more complicated that it should be... I just want the same sounds, but better. That's all.)

Has anyone tried to do this at all?

Can anyone give me some theory on how to do this accurately??? I know they have different features, but shouldn't I at least be able to get close?

thanks!

Boeing 737-400

Post by Boeing 737-400 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Erm, the Arturia Minimoog V is based on the original Mini, and not the Voyager! :shock:

Yes I have tried, and yes it sounds nothing like it!

bosonob

Arturia vs. Voyager

Post by bosonob » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:50 am

I have found I get some Arturia patches very close to the voyager if you turn off the Arturia effects like delay, chorus and the unison. You can go the other route by putting the voyager through similiar effects ( can't simulate unison of course). I found also that other synths (Roland sh-32 microkorg) can also be made to sound similar if the arturia patches you're trying for don't use filter sweeps too much. The moog filter is just too unique. Static filtering can at times work.

As a starting point hold your mouse over the Arturia knobs and it should display the parameters. Then you can get a better first guess as to the voyager setting. In general, I have found auditioning the Arturia patch without any effects, extras etc. is the best way to determine if it can be replicated.

Stefan

The Unknown

Post by The Unknown » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:54 am

Most certainly true. The effects on the Arturia synths can radically alter the original sounds, so always turn them off in order to hear 'the truth', so to speak.
It is better to be loved or hated than to be regarded with indifference.
I might look a fool, I might act the fool, but take me for a fool and I'll make a fool of you.
If the past is ill, make the future better.

mlanson

Post by mlanson » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:22 am

I actually didn't turn everything off so to speak, I'll go try it when I have a minuet... But what about the wave forms, what would be the best way to compensate for those differences??? If there's even an answer for this question!