Strange question?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
thebedroom

Strange question?

Post by thebedroom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:06 pm

I just received my moog voyager on Friday. Though I have barely left the front panel I have noticed one thing that I am curious about.

Upon startup, the moog seems to cycle through a sound. Since I am new to this machine I am unsure if this is normal or an anomoly. Please let me know. I keep forgetting to leave my amp on standby and it always shocks me. It is most likely normal operating procedure but I would like to know for sure.

Thanks

MC

Strange answer?

Post by MC » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:11 pm

That is the sound of the little tiny electrons being awakened when you turn the power on and the OS boots. The electrons arise and dress in military precision, then they all RUSH to their assigned stations in the Voyager which is the sound you hear. Such is the magic designed by Bob Moog, he knows how to get those electrons in line.

Therefore this noise is perfectly normal. Should the noise disappear, Moog Music has spare electrons in stock. If your Voyager sounds like it needs a calibration, that means the electrons are weak from lack of sunlight, which is part of their care and feeding. It is very dark inside a Voyager, and neither blue lit wheels or a backlit panel can substitute for sunlight. A qualified technician can replenish their appetite for sunlight when he opens the Voyager for calibration. Fortunately as technology has progressed, the electrons can go longer periods, even years, without sunlight.

Not much else is known about electrons. We do not know how they multiply, because whenever humans attempt to examine them they scatter and hide.
Like the chameleon they can adapt to their surroundings, escaping detection from the human eye. If you try to look for them in the Voyager, they will blend in with the PC boards and components.

We know that they can travel fourteen inches in a single nanosecond (one billionth of a second) on a conductor, and like humans they are attracted to opposites. We know that they are especially fond of earth ground, and they travel so fast to ground that their species have been vulnerable to extinction. Electronic engineering has had to devise all kinds of devices to prevent a massive loss of electrons to the bellows of the earth. The fuse is a good example; if too many electrons travel across the fuse, it opens like a drawbridge and the gap is too wide for electrons to jump.

Ask a strange question... :wink:

thebedroom

Post by thebedroom » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:53 pm

such a beautiful answer I feel almost stupid asking. Thanks. I am printing this one to keep in my hall of fame.

mark

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:34 am

Excellent MC. One of the best posts I have ever read...

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:47 am

Mine it totally quiet when I start it. Seems to work fine, though.

theglyph

Oh Mighty Photons!

Post by theglyph » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:03 pm

MC

Please don't forget the photons. As you mentioned, electons need sunlight to survive. The key word here is sunlight. Sunlight is in fact a giant army of photons moving through the space/time continuum. I am wondering what role these photons play in keeping the army of electrons alive and well.

I know of a bunch of conspiricy theorists who have thier own ideas on the relationship between photons and electrons. Which came first, the photon or the electron? Even more interesting is the fact that Dr. Moog is putting a lot of light on the front of the voyager.

Hmm! Maybe Dr. Moog is really a photon in disguise.

This raises a lot of questions.