Accessing Voyager sounds in Cubase SX

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Shadi Megallaa

Accessing Voyager sounds in Cubase SX

Post by Shadi Megallaa » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:59 am

This is my first post and I look forward to gettin an education in the ways of the Voyager..

I've got my Voyager hooked up and I can use it to play soft synths but I can't seem to trigger the moogs sounds. I've also got a Roland mc-909 hooked up as well and i'm having the same problem with that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:06 pm

Shadi,

I use the Voyager with SE, and it's great. It took me some trial and error as well. So, of course make sure your midi connections are all ok. Then create a midi track, and set the In and Out on that track to your midi card. Now highlight a bar of your midi track, double click it to bring up the key editor. Hit a key on the virtual keyboard on the left side of the editor and the Voyager should fire. From there you should be good to go.

You can use the midi key editor as a sequencer to fire patterns of notes on your MMV, but not only fire the notes, but control the pots at the same time. This is a really nice feature. Once you make a pattern, look at the bottom of the key editor, on the left, where the velocity of each note shown. If you pull down the menu velocity is under, you'll find that you can add lots of other cc messages. However, they don't map neatly to the voyager, so I made a little map of my own. I don't see an attachment feature on this board so I'll just post it below.

With this, you can take the sine wav tool (under the draw tool) and draw a sine wave over the filter cc, and the filter will follow the sine wave for that segment of your midi track. You can send many messages, for instance, you could have each oscillators wave shape change as each note is played. Or set the filter message of the sequence to a square wave so that the filter level changes several times with each note - sound like a murf! The possibilites go on and on. My MMV took on a new life when I discovered this.

Good luck.

Here is the map I made, it's incomplete, but this list has kept me busy:

Mod Wh = 1 = Mod
Mod 2 = 2 = Foot
Glide = 5 = Portamento
M Vol = 7 = Main Vol
Ped/On amt = 8 = Balance
Osc 1 wav = 9 = Ctrl 9
Osc 2 freq = 10 = Pan
Osc 1 level = 15 = Ctrl 15
osc 2 level = 16 = Gen Purp 1
Osc 3 level = 17 = Gen Purp 2
Osc 3 Wav = 13 = Ctrl 13
Osc 2 wav = 11 = Expression
Noise level = 18 = Gen Purp 3
Filter Cutoff = 19 = Gen Purp 4
Vol Env Sust = 30 = Ctrl 30
Vol Env Rel = 31 = Ctrl 31
Ext Aud level = 14 = Ctrl 14
Filt Spacing = 20 = Ctrl 20
Filt Res = 21 = Ctrl 21
Filt Key Ctrl = 22 = Cntrl 22
Filt Env Attack = 23 = Ctrl 23
Filt Env Decay = 24 = Ctrl 24
Filt Evn Sust = 25 = Ctrl 25
Filt Env Rel = 26 = Ctrl 26
Filt Env Amt = 27 = Ctrl 27
Vol Env Attack = 28 = Ctrl 28
Vol Env Decay = 29 = Ctrl 29
Vol Env Sus = 30 = Ctrl 30
Vol Env Rel = 31 = Ctrl 31

One more thing, when setting this up, I did this whole bit about adding a new midi device, named it MyMoog etc, but I don't think that's necessary. Try the above without doing that. If not under Devices/midi manager you should find a place to add a new device. There'a a Cubase forum, but their not much help, it's such a busy forum that your messages are quickly lost.
Last edited by tunedLow on Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:13 pm

Another thing, besides the better sound, you also get a really cool editing feature that I don't have with SE. If you select several bars of the midi track to be recorded, you can hit record and record midi live from your Voyager to Cubase. Then you can edit the midi notes as you like, quantize etc...

SE can do that part, but what SX can do is loop that recorded section and let you just keep playing the riff. If you set it up right, each time you start the loop over you'll record another track right underneath the one you just recorded, without loosing the previous one. So when you make up a melody, you can play 10 different versions of it, and then go back and choose the one(s) you like. SE will just plow over the original, with limited options. This is a really great option for creating or nailing a difficult piece. You can also you is for normal audio tracks as well.

Shadi Megallaa

Post by Shadi Megallaa » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:53 am

Thanks for that m'man. The problem still hasn't been solved. It might be more a Cubase issue or wiring problem than a Moog issue. Thanks for your input tho. The thing is, I can use the vst instruments on Cubase but I don't have an option for the moog. I have the same problem with my Roland 909, its fine for midi but I can't trigger its sounds. Anyway, i'll let you know how I get on. Thanks..

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:43 am

It's most probably not a Moog issue at all, but do check that the channel you're selecting to send and recieve midi on from the Moog is the same that you've selected in Cubase for your midi track. Try the Cubase forums as well. Good luck.

Shadi Megallaa

Post by Shadi Megallaa » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:15 am

yyyyyyyyyep, ure probably right.. i'm gonna keep working on it and i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help tho and be sure that you'll be getting a lot more questions out of me 8) Maybe a tad bit more Cubase related next time

countlove

Post by countlove » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:50 pm

How do you get an osculator to pan from right to left speaker? Do you need to get one of those fancy 300 dollar box things.. Forgot the name. ALso I guess you have to do stereo output? I only record mono into cubase from the voyager..

Wow there's so much to learn on this beast..

tunedLow

Post by tunedLow » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:26 pm

You can do this from the MMV. In the mod wheel program destination you'll find a panorama option.

countlove

Post by countlove » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:30 pm

Ahh ok.. thanks.. once I will try that.. Do I need to have stereo output hooked up?