Is it worth buying a MIDI cable to control Animoog?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
ruiguerreiro

Is it worth buying a MIDI cable to control Animoog?

Post by ruiguerreiro » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:45 pm

Hello everyone,

Just got an iPad Air and I'm having a lot of fun with Animoog.
Now I'm working out the best way to integrate it with my music production setup. I've already recorded audio through the audio interface, and I would like to set it like an external MIDI instrument that I can program inside Logic Pro X. I went ahead and set the WiFi to send MIDI to Animoog, and it works, but not smoothly enough. I mean, it kind of works fine, but sometimes it lags a bit and some nome notes get out of time, or if I'm in loop mode some notes are not triggered at all. I figure this is related to the network response, right?
I don't mind spending the money on a cable that solves this problem, but I want to be sure it will fix the lag and the timing issues before I purchase it. Can anyone confirm that a cable will get the iPad in full sync with Logic? And also, which cables do you suggest?

Thank you so much for your help!

Best,
Rui

Bald Eagle

Re: Is it worth buying a MIDI cable to control Animoog?

Post by Bald Eagle » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:15 am

I currently use a Griffin Studio Connect and I have also used an iRig Midi. Then all you need is a Midi interface on the PC side. The actual Midi cables are not really as important as the interface. I use Sonar, not Logic, but I don't have any lag or sync issues.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:52 am

IMHO -

Wireless MIDI works OK for basic control functions with the iPad, but once you start sequencing a lot of heavy note data, a wired connection is the way to go!

Several companies (including Griffin, Alesis, and Focusrite) are bringing out new dock options that support the latest generation of iPads with the lightning connector. The docks are are nice "all-in-one" solution that give you everything you need to connect your iPad to a home studio, with the additional advantage that they charge your iPad while in use. Some include USB, which eliminates the need for a separate MIDI interface on your computer.

I'm currently using an (original version) Alesis iO Dock with my iPad 2, and it works great! Very nice MIDI DIN and TRS/XLR audio connections, plus USB connectivity to the computer.

In lieu of something like a dock with USB, you're going to need a MIDI interface specifically for the iPad (or something like the Griffin StudioConnect that Bald Eagle mentioned), another MIDI interface for your computer, and standard MIDI DIN cables to connect the MIDI interfaces together. You'll also need the cables required to connect your iPad's audio to your computer or sound system.

I HIGHLY recommend an option like the Griffin StudioConnect, or better yet, one of the new docks that include ALL the I/O connections you'll need for your iPad. :)

Randy

PS -
@ Bald Eagle ~
Another Sonar user here! 8)
Last edited by Stuka on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

ruiguerreiro

Post by ruiguerreiro » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:47 pm

A lot of great info there guys :)

I'm going to look a each option carefully.

Thank you so much!

haroldland2

Post by haroldland2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm

I use a Behringer iStudio dock with iPad 2 & it works very well. They announced a model with a lightning connector 'iStudio Thunder' but is not out yet. There are reports of noise probs etc on forums, especially w Alesis, but I find no issues, with attention to gain structure & limiting # of apps it is fine for MIDI control of apps & line out to submix & PA system etc when playing live & home recording. Haven't tried the external inputs. I'm sure Focusrite would give better Q noise & D/A conversion for pro use but a dock is all in one solution.

Mssgs frm iPads r short

christophe.touzalin

Post by christophe.touzalin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:16 pm

I never succeed to have a good sync tempo, I've tried with wireless, Alesis IOdock, midi, usb with iPad, iPhone, two differents soundcards, midicard.
Some have?

rove

Post by rove » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:17 pm

If you are happy with the audio you are getting from the iPad's built in output then I would suggest to keep it simple with this:
http://iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio

and this:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821 ... ra-adapter