Animoog crashes -- related to polyphony?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
dswo

Animoog crashes -- related to polyphony?

Post by dswo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 am

I have bought many (most?) iOS synth apps, but Animoog is one of a handful that I actually use. It looks and sounds beautiful, it's expressive, and I just don't get tired of playing it. One thing I have noticed since the last major update is...it crashes on my iPad 2. Not right away and not predictably, but it's not something I would depend on for a live show (which I'm not good enough to play anyway).

One patch where I've noticed this recently is Vintage Vibe Arena Rock Poly. I love this sound, so I've been playing it a lot and my sessions often end with a crash -- not the good kind. I'm running Animoog with Audiobus, Audioshare, and sometimes AUFX:Dub in the Audiobus effects slot, so we're sharing RAM here. I don't know whether I'm seeing the crashes with this patch because Animoog just does this and I happen to be playing this patch when it does, or because it's polyphonic AND I'm lengthening the amp and filter release, which increases the number of notes that are sounding at any one time. This morning I tried playing with the envelopes page displayed instead of the XY/oscilloscope, on the theory that simple graphics would be more stable, but it eventually crashed the same way.

I wish I knew how to make it crash right away, because that would be easier to fix. I'm posting here to share what I know, not to complain or demand my money back. I've gotten way more than my money's worth out of this app and look forward to whatever Moog does with it next. These latest packs are really musical.
David Wilson-Okamura

Satri

Re: Animoog crashes -- related to polyphony?

Post by Satri » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:01 am

Hi dswo,

Tried the following on my iPad 2 ; loaded VVArenaRockPoly, loaded Audiobus, added AUFX:Dub effect (stereo long), played a bit, including 4 notes at the same time.

Result: no crash. Even when playing and moving the x/y pad, changed the envelope/mod too. Still no crash.

Maybe I haven't tested long enough to saturate RAM? Or did not replicated the 'right' combination to make it crash?

Anyways, good luck! -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks, Satri. As I said: I wish I knew how to make it crash right away.
David Wilson-Okamura

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Hello,
Running certain other applications in the background can cause this.
Try turning off all background applications and see if that helps.

-Your Friends at Moog

dswo

Post by dswo » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Moog Music wrote:Running certain other applications in the background can cause this.
Try turning off all background applications and see if that helps.
That could be it right there: with Audiobus, AUFX:Dub, and Audioshare that's three additonal apps. None of them is very CPU-hungry, but they do take up RAM (and the iPad 2 has only 512mb of that, compared with 1gb for later models).
David Wilson-Okamura