Open Collaborative Animoog Documentation, a project

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Satri

Open Collaborative Animoog Documentation, a project

Post by Satri » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi all,

Here's the idea: an open and collaborative documentation of Animoog. I'm doing it for myself, but since I want this project to succeed and to be useful to others, it would be fully open (along with the appropriate license) and collaborative (everybody's invited to contribute). It would not constitute official documentation, it would be fan-made. Why I want to do this? My main driver is to document Animoog presets: their characteristics and how to best enjoy them. I want that documentation to be flexible, scalable, reusable, etc. Ultimately, anything about Animoog could be documented as long as enthusiasts are willing to contribute documentation.

I want the barrier to access and browse the documentation, and to contribute to it, to be very low. I have a few options in mind on how to do it and I believe I'm computer-literate enough to handle the backend (which will be open too of course) - I already manage a few similar projects. (some potential technical keywords: SQLite+phpmyadmin, GitHub, wiki, WordPress, etc.)

Why I'm sharing this with you? I'd like feedback. Does this sound useful to you? Do you have ideas about how it should be (or not be) done? Are you interested in participating? Cheers -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

dswo

Re: Open Collaborative Animoog Documentation, a project

Post by dswo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 am

It wouldn't be as cool, but maybe a sticky topic on this forum could serve the same function, be easier to find, and easier to maintain?
Satri wrote:My main driver is to document Animoog presets: their characteristics and how to best enjoy them.
This seems like an endless and subjective task. Nothing wrong with that! But I think you'll get more miles per gallon by documenting procedures (e.g., how to make a new timbre).
David Wilson-Okamura

Satri

Re: Open Collaborative Animoog Documentation, a project

Post by Satri » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks dswo for the feedback!

Using a sticky topic on the forum would probably create an unreadable mess. But maybe I'm wrong.

Animoog presets documentation: yes, part of it is subjective, but a lot is not. I have a few ideas on how to objectively document those - such as whether the xy pad significantly affect the resulting sound or not, whether the sound is looping on itself and doesn't fade with time, what are the default keys/scale/mono/legato settings, etc.

Creating timbres and other procedures: sure, why not! While I have little interest myself in those, it's clear that the platform should be flexible and scalable enough to easily handle that type of documentation too.

I'll see if I can find the 'right platform' for this and get back to the forum. Cheers -- Alex aka Satri
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri