Controlling AniMoog via MIDI

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
beecheese

Controlling AniMoog via MIDI

Post by beecheese » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm trying to control my Animoog with a Yamaha Clavinova by connecting the MIDI outs to a MIDI-to-USB, plugging that into a USB gender changer (female to female) and plugging that into the USB to 30-pin cable included with my iPad. It doesn't seem to be working. Is it possible to connect MIDI this way? I'm trying to figure out if my keyboard is incompatible or if I'm just not using the right hardware to connect to my iPad. It seems like any MIDI-capable keyboard should work as a controller.

Stuka

Re: Controlling AniMoog via MIDI

Post by Stuka » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 pm

The MIDI-to-USB interface you describe (assuming that is what you're referring to) requires a computer to work.
Both it and your iOS device would connect directly to your computer via USB, then you would need to use MIDI routing software on your computer (like MIDI-OX for Windows PC's) to route the MIDI path as needed.

Note that your MIDI interface "might" work if you connect directly to your iOS device with the Apple Camera Connector Kit, but that solution is a bit of a crap shoot.

Proven solutions:
To connect directly from your keyboard to your iOS device via MIDI, you really need a MIDI interface made for the iPhone/iPad.
The MIDI interface would connect to the iOS device via the 30-pin connector,and your keyboard would connect to the interface via standard MIDI DIN cables.

The least expensive is something like the Line 6 MIDI mobilizer:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MidiMobil2/

The most versatile MIDI solution- and WAY cool! - is this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnectMIDI/

If you want something that does it all - USB, MIDI, audio in & out - check out this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iODock/

I can vouch for all three; HIGHLY recommend the last two!!! :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

beecheese

Post by beecheese » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Awesome, I'll check those out. Thanks for responding! It's been difficult to find official instructions on how to do this.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 pm

I use theAlesis iodock with no problems. It charges your iPad, which is nice.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

beecheese

Post by beecheese » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:22 pm

I've also seen a lot of mentions of the apple camera connector kit. How much of a crap shoot exactly is it? Has anyone had success (or lack of success) with that route? It's definitely a cheaper alternative to a all-in-one MIDI solution. I don't really need a lot of frills, just basic keyboard connectivity.

nuno

Post by nuno » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 pm

beecheese wrote:I've also seen a lot of mentions of the apple camera connector kit. How much of a crap shoot exactly is it? Has anyone had success (or lack of success) with that route? It's definitely a cheaper alternative to a all-in-one MIDI solution. I don't really need a lot of frills, just basic keyboard connectivity.

Actually, just saw this solution from iConnectivity shown at NAMM

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus

it fits the part perfectly, plus you get audio pass through directly into a computer, if you wish to, via USB, getting a purely digital signal between Animoog and your DAW with no intermediate Digital to Analogue conversion, unlike iO Dock. Watch it here:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/01/ ... lem-video/

Looks perfect, I might get that myself.

Cheers.

nuno

Post by nuno » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Plus it charges your iPad, major bonus over other solutions using ths camera connection kit.
nuno wrote:
beecheese wrote:I've also seen a lot of mentions of the apple camera connector kit. How much of a crap shoot exactly is it? Has anyone had success (or lack of success) with that route? It's definitely a cheaper alternative to a all-in-one MIDI solution. I don't really need a lot of frills, just basic keyboard connectivity.

Actually, just saw this solution from iConnectivity shown at NAMM

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus

it fits the part perfectly, plus you get audio pass through directly into a computer, if you wish to, via USB, getting a purely digital signal between Animoog and your DAW with no intermediate Digital to Analogue conversion, unlike iO Dock. Watch it here:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/01/ ... lem-video/

Looks perfect, I might get that myself.

Cheers.

beecheese

Post by beecheese » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Question for anyone who's used the iConnectMidi: Let's say you have this thing connected to your ipad, being controlled by a midi keyboard, and it's also connected to your DAW. I understand you can play on the midi keyboard and have the direct digital signal piped into your DAW. Could you, then play and record that digital signal, while simultaneously recording midi into your daw?

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough here. Essentially, I'm wondering if you can record the direct signal that you'd hear coming from your iPad's headphone jack while simultaneously plotting the piano scroll midi notes in a daw like ableton. If you can, then this could really be the best of both worlds of playing and recording live keys with no latency AND having the convenience of going back later and making changes in the midi scroll of your performance. Also, you could play back the midi what you just recorded back into your ipad, manipulate filters and resonators to get a really live and expressive sound, and record that second performance straight to digital into your daw.

Again, I can't tell if i'm going off the deep-end here. But if this thing can do what I hope it can, I think it could be a serious game-changer.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:53 pm

I don't think the iConnect MIDI version with the audio pass-thru has hit the streets yet (?).

I don't know if there's truly such a thing as "zero latency" when it comes to audio IN for your DAW -
You're still going to be depending on a USB connection for the computer side, so all those annoying latency-inducing things that can affect latency on a computer could still come into play. Still, this sounds like a soution that COULD be quite a game changer!! 8)

I have one of the original "old" (2012) versions of the iConnect MIDI (no audio - MIDI only), and it truly is a "Swiss army knife" when it comes to all the different connectivity options it offers! Whether or not it is connected to a PC, every MIDI port is individually addressable, and supports numerous combinations of iOS, MIDI DIN, and MIDI USB devices.

The only drawback is the current (old) version does NOT charge the connected iOS devices while it's in use, so if that has been added to the 2013 version(s) it's a big plus!
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

beecheese

Post by beecheese » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't have zero latency, but because it doesn't have to convert from analogue to digital, (from what I've read it's a straight digital path from the device) that should take off a considerable amount.

Since it does have multiple midi ports, I suppose you could use one as the input, one as the output to your computer (to record into the midi piano scroll) and the straight digital input to record direct audio, so you could record digital audio and midi simultaneously.

Is the 2013 version on the market yet?

nuno

Post by nuno » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:20 pm

beecheese wrote: Is the 2013 version on the market yet?
Doesn't look like it, not even on pre-order online. I don't recall exactly, but maybe the developer pointed at a date on the sonicstate video. I'll keep my eye on synthtopia and like sites, it'sbound to pop up again when it's released. :)

beecheese

Post by beecheese » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 pm

One more clarification: I could use the iConnect Midi to control AniMoog via midi notes in a DAW like Ableton, correct? Like, if I had a MIDI melody written out, I could play it through AniMoog?

nuno

Post by nuno » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:21 pm

beecheese wrote:One more clarification: I could use the iConnect Midi to control AniMoog via midi notes in a DAW like Ableton, correct? Like, if I had a MIDI melody written out, I could play it through AniMoog?
Yes, check this: http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... -x-ableton

Cheers,
Nuno

beecheese

Post by beecheese » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:40 pm

nuno wrote: Yes, check this: http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... -x-ableton

Cheers,
Nuno
Thanks Nuno! Can't wait to finally have some real synth capabilities at my fingertips.

nuno

Post by nuno » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:47 pm

beecheese wrote:
nuno wrote: Yes, check this: http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... -x-ableton

Cheers,
Nuno
Thanks Nuno! Can't wait to finally have some real synth capabilities at my fingertips.
Coolness! 8)

Looking forward to this device too!