Animoog iPhone / ipad

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Sxt

Animoog iPhone / ipad

Post by Sxt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Hello,

I'm not quite understanding the difference between the Animoog for iPhone and Animoog for iPad. Both say they are compatible with iPad, but the price difference ($10 vs $30) indicates that the iPad version is more full featured.

So what is the difference, and on iPad 2, what do you get from the iPad app that you don't get from the iPhone app.

Lastly, if anyone from Moog is listening, please update the Animoog prices on your web site, they are very misleading.

Thanks,
Steve

avj

Re: Animoog iPhone / ipad

Post by avj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 pm

The iPad is capable of running any iPhone/iPod touch apps, but it does so in a sort of compatibility mode where the usable screen size is limited to the size of an iPhone/iPod touch with the ability to expand it to 2x the size -- with a considerable amount of pixelation in the process.

I own both versions of Animoog. The iPad version is a completely different interface, and I find it almost impossible to use the iPhone version after being spoiled with the extra interface bits. If you have an iPad, you would be crazy to not purchase the iPad version. Check YouTube for some demos (or even look at Moog's own demos) to see the differences in the interface for each version.

As for the price disparity, both versions were available for $0.99 USD during a limited introductory period after release and that time has apparently lapsed.

Sxt

Post by Sxt » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks, that answers my question exactly.

Also the prices on the web site look like they are updated, so thanks for that too.

Steve

andibhatt

Post by andibhatt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 am

DO we have anything on HTC or new Samsung Galaxy?

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:06 pm

So, I assume that the versions have identical functionality but the interface is designed differently on the iPad?

I'm curious about the midi workings on the iPad version. The iPhone version doesn't seem to communicate internally with virtual midi. It will take midi in from outside but not with apps actually on the iPad. Does the iPad version allow for do you know?

thanks,

Greg

gkillmaster

Post by gkillmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:07 pm

from Moog:

"I managed to speak with our firmware engineer and he gave me the following information:

"They are both totally identical except for graphics and how many keys will fit on the screen at one time (more keys max. on iPad). MIDI is totally the same. MIDI implementation on both versions is due for extension and improvement in a near-future update."

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Take care!"

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:59 am

andibhatt wrote:DO we have anything on HTC or new Samsung Galaxy?
Android has serious latency issues in the OS, which is why you don't see many music apps that are used for serious realtime music making.

Nissaba

Post by Nissaba » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 pm

avj wrote:The iPad is capable of running any iPhone/iPod touch apps, but it does so in a sort of compatibility mode where the usable screen size is limited to the size of an iPhone/iPod touch with the ability to expand it to 2x the size -- with a considerable amount of pixelation in the process.

I own both versions of Animoog. The iPad version is a completely different interface, and I find it almost impossible to use the iPhone version after being spoiled with the extra interface bits. If you have an iPad, you would be crazy to not purchase the iPad version. Check YouTube for some demos (or even look at Moog's own demos) to see the differences in the interface for each version.

As for the price disparity, both versions were available for $0.99 USD during a limited introductory period after release and that time has apparently lapsed.

I know this messages are old. But I wanted to say that it's easy to create universal app that both work on iPhone and iPad and as such I fun it really sad to have to buy the same programme twice. The real work in programming is not the interface so much but much more the engin if you want the rest is glue coding. Lots of apps are made to run on both systems with respective UI and not just in X2 mode. If you look at synth station from akai it as 2 interface running off the same app, so you only have to buy it 1 time. I am sure moot made this design choice to make more $$ off us. It's no big deal if you got the money to spare really 30$ is not much. But still I feel it's a ripoff to pay twice for the same thing with different skin.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:14 pm

Easy fix -
no one says you "must" buy both versions. :roll:

If I remember correctly, Animoog was first released for the iPad, specifically designed to take advantage of the graphics and screen space the iPad offers. Animoog for iPad has been has offered a time or two at GREATLY reduced prices, and Moog has also offered some GREAT upgrades for free! I don't think Moog has been ripping anyone off.

Realistically, do you really want to try to do everything Animoog is capable of doing from a tiny iPhone screen?
Unless you have really tiny fingers and/or eyes with built-in zoom capability, it seems like it would be more trouble than the effort is worth.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

dswo

Post by dswo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Stuka wrote:Realistically, do you really want to try to do everything Animoog is capable of doing from a tiny iPhone screen? Unless you have really tiny fingers and/or eyes with built-in zoom capability, it seems like it would be more trouble than the effort is worth.
I don't know about everything, but my two iPod Touches go lots of places that my iPad 2 does not.
Nissaba wrote:The real work in programming is not the interface so much but much more the engin if you want the rest is glue coding.
I would prefer not to pay twice for the IAPs. I would love to see the iPhone version updated with Audiobus, if not the 4-track. In any case, interface programming is real work and I expect to pay for it.
David Wilson-Okamura

lancedrake

Post by lancedrake » Sat May 11, 2013 10:07 pm

The platform being used is quite the same though, but the app itself determine the device weather it has wide screen resolution or not, as if so, the features is more broad that one with small screen. That varies the prices automatically when you use iPhone or iPad devices.

andibhatt

Post by andibhatt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Check this out - Electronic analog Moog Synthesizer, Android App / Created with Appsgeyser Free App Creator..I am going to download it for my Samsung S3. Let's see how its works.

http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/ele ... nthesizer/

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:29 pm

andibhatt wrote:Check this out - Electronic analog Moog Synthesizer, Android App / Created with Appsgeyser Free App Creator..I am going to download it for my Samsung S3. Let's see how its works.

http://www.appsgeyser.com/getwidget/ele ... nthesizer/
That's the Moog "Google Doodle" from last year...

http://www.google.com/doodles/robert-mo ... h-birthday
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...