Minitaur - No Audio

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
cdallyn

Minitaur - No Audio

Post by cdallyn » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi,
I have had my minitaur for 3 months now and it worked completely fine until yesterday.
I have a Virus TI Snow acting as my audio interface and am sending MIDI from Ableton to the Minitaur which sends audio to the Virus and back in to Ableton.

This all worked perfectly fine until I disconnected my Virus to sell my old monitors, and at the same time I added a second monitor to my setup and added a MIDI keyboard. These are likely unrelated, but I figured it's important to add all information.

Yesterday I tried to go back in to past projects to tinker a bit and I discovered my minitaur wasn't sending audio. I tried this in 3 different projects and also tried a new project to set up the minitaur from scratch. I have confirmation that ableton is sending midi, I have confirmation that the moog is receiving midi (the light is blinking), and all 4 buttons and the oscillator LED are working properly. The minitaur is also interfacing properly with the editor software as I can toggle the buttons/twist knobs on one, and it shows in the other.

I have tried that 4 button method as described by someone here (Press all 4 buttons then trigger the Minitaur with MIDI) to no avail.

What's the next step?

till

Re: Minitaur - No Audio

Post by till » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Try the headphone directly on the Minitaur? Is it working?

Double check the audio cable to from the Minitaur to the Virus. And is the cable in the correct socket of the Virus?

Die you change a thing on the external audio in handling on the Virus?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

felis

Post by felis » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:52 pm

I'd simplify it all the way down, just to check.
Just midi out of your controller to midi in of the Minitaur.
Then run the Minitaur audio out to whatever you're using to hear - mixer/speakers.

Basically, eliminate the Virus and computer and anything else that might be interfering.
Then add stuff back one piece at a time.

felis

Post by felis » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Well - it happened to mine too now. With mine, it seems to be an editor/OS issue.

It stopped making sound and shut down the computer. I think it was when I tried to save a sound to a user bank I had just made.

I reloaded the OS a couple times - still no sound. I hooked it back up to the computer and opened the editor. Turning the knobs on either the Minitaur or the editor didn't produce any sound.

I switched to another preset, and - sound! OK, maybe there's hope. But when I disconnect from the editor - no sound.

Every other preset now reads 'init', and the first 'panel' preset doesn't do anything. I can't find the presets to re-load them.
I think I'm going to have to contact them, because I can't seem to get back in to get the editor and sounds again.
Very frustrating. I can't see why they restrict downloading the editor and patches. I don't think you can do anything with them
without having a Minitaur.

I really don't want to have to send this back. I've come to like it very much.
But I'm not sure I can deal with having to have it hooked up to a computer to use it. That's not what I bought it for.

Anyways, maybe that's something for you to try. Hook it back up to the editor and pick a different patch besides the first one.
Maybe you'll get sound again.

felis

Post by felis » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:23 am

OK - so I found a copy of the editor I had on a usb drive. I deleted the editor from the computer, then re-installed it from the usb drive.
Same crap with every other preset being initialized, and dragging the sounds into the preset folder doesn't do anything.
What a mess.

felis

Post by felis » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:44 am

I'm going to document my experience here in case it might help someone.

It's working again. There were a few things that might have made a difference:

I have two hard drives installed in a desktop, the second one (D - not C) is where I put most of my music related stuff.
The editor was on D. When I went to reveal the stock sounds they were on C. Doesn't seem like that should be a cause though -
trying to save in a user bank in D instead of in C.

I deleted two instances of a sound I made and put in the user bank.
An aside - I let the calibration run for quite a while, and recognized some funky, grinding filter sounds I had posted about earlier.
Might be low level filter or lfo stuff. Not related.

I tried a different patch that made sound. Then went back to the 'panel' patch and when I found it was working,
I hit 'Send'. Not sure how the Minitaur works, but I think this is what got me sound again when disconnected from the editor/computer.
Because I was getting sound with the panel patch, I disconnected the usb, shut down the editor,
pulled and plugged back in the power supply and 'voila' - sound again.

Everything seems to be working fine now.
So glad - I really love the sounds I can get from the Minitaur and didn't want to have to return it.

I will post any further mis-adventures back here.