Moog Taurus II Intonation Problems

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
motifmanxs8

Moog Taurus II Intonation Problems

Post by motifmanxs8 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Hello,
I recently restored my Taurus II. I removed all of that nasty black gunk, and cleaned and re lubricated all of the switches and faders due to a severe amount of intermittent connections. I also cleaned all of the contacts inside of the controller board unit. I have been having a very hard time calibrating this synth. The problem I have is that the higher the notes I play, the more sharp they get. Also flipping the octave switch, they continue to get sharper and sharper than the lower notes and It makes it almost unplayable (enough to sound bad and out of tune.) I have gone through the procedure of the rogue only to release the keyboard is different so the notes and frequencies used are also different. I got a service manual for the taurus but it looks to me that the corrections are written in with pen and when it tells me to reference the note C, the frequency it gives isn't exactly of the frequency a C should be. I am using an audio interface to directly import the output of the taurus into my laptop which runs a tuner program that displays the exact frequency of the note. The whole process is an absolute pain because you are constantly adjusting 2 pots back and forth and most of the time it just throws the other adjustment off. I would really like to get this properly calibrated, I believe the actual problem is with the key scaling adjustment, because the oscillators are both in tune with eachother. I will attach the manual so you guys can take a look.

FYI of course I can't find the service manual I was using with the corrections. I have the original unmodified service manual attached, I don't believe it is correct because it says press low F and high C for the alignment procedure but that is for the Rogue which starts at F and goes to C. The Taurus pedals start at Low C and go to F just about the first octave.

Thanks,
Ron

motifmanxs8

Re: Moog Taurus II Intonation Problems

Post by motifmanxs8 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:52 am

Nothing from anyone? Isn't this the Moog forum??