First Moog

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Bertotti

First Moog

Post by Bertotti » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Was hoping I could have a sub 37 by now but that isn't happening but I am sitting here waiting for fed ex to bring my first moog. A nice shiny new Minitaur! I am not so patient now!

stiiiiiiive

Re: First Moog

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Congrats mate! :)

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks, a quick question,

I have an MXR carbon copy delay, nice guitar bucket brigade delay I wonder if I can safely use the miniature through it without damaging the Carbon Copy? I have the input specs for the Cabon Copy, Input Impedance 1M Output Impedance 1K, max input level +5Dbv at 500 hz., but I haven't found the actual output of the miniature anywhere can some one help me out please? I really do not want to damage the Carbon Copy.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:55 am

Anyone correct me, but I’ve used a lot of pedals with many synths and never got any problem.

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks sir, that would be great. I suppos I will try it and keep the volume down at first and see how it goes. I would love if it works as it is a nice analog delay. No Moog but still good In its own right.

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Can someone name some decent and inexpensive midi to cv boxes? Thanks!

Looking to work with Logic and have a few meandering thoughts that this could come in handy!

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:21 am

The Korg SQ-1 can be used as a USB MIDI to CV converter according to the guy in this video ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAY2b8FGAg

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:07 am

Bald Eagle hey! Thanks I will look into it. I am looking for something that can handle more then one midi stream at a time so I could really drive the miniatures inputs. Maybe I would be better off with the cp251. I have a 15% GC coupon good till the 1st. Obviously I have never dealt with cv before. I wish I still had the analog keys it has all the cv out I would want and I really liked it. And it is on sale till the 1st. What to sell what to sell! To old and potbellied to go gigillo plus the wife would come unglued! HAHAHAHA :lol:

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:52 pm

The Arturia Beatstep Pro would work. It sends gate, pitch cv and "velocity" cv for two separate channels at once. The "velocity" lane can be used for anything that you can modulate that is l as precise than pitch. Filter cutoff would be the most commonly used.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:43 pm

I'm looking into the Deeper it seems to have most of what I am looking for but it is only 8bit. I don't know if that is a deal breaker or not. I will look into the other options now since I can't help but think I want more bits.

PAIAkid1973

Post by PAIAkid1973 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:53 am

jsharpphoto wrote:The Arturia Beatstep Pro would work. It sends gate, pitch cv and "velocity" cv for two separate channels at once. The "velocity" lane can be used for anything that you can modulate that is l as precise than pitch. Filter cutoff would be the most commonly used.
Are you saying that you use CV’s from the Beatstep Pro to drive a Minituar?

I have been worried about the BSP’s 10 volt max CV output vs. the Minitaur’s supposedly 5 volt max CV input.

Although, I have been driving an MS-20 with the BSP CV output and the MS-20 says -5 volt to +5 volt, at least on the patch panel.
Nothing bad has happened yet, I think.

Also, on the subject of input levels for effects boxes, I have an Ibanez ES2 that distorts badly unless I turn down the output volume on the Minitaur and feed the delays output into a microphone input on my mixing board. This however works just fine.

I also have a Peavey DualDeltaFex that doesn't seem to care what the input is and is rated at -12 dBv (0.25V) nominal but +18 dBv (8V) maximum and I have fed the full output of the Minituar and of an MS-20 with no problems.

PAiAkid1973
Moog Minitaur, Korg MS-20, Korg Poly 61, Roland MC-303, Roland JD-xi, Peavey DualDeltaFex, Ibanez ES2, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Arturia Beatstep, Korg SQ-1, MIDI keyboard, a pile of patch cords

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:04 am

I would be very concerned with using higher voltages into lower voltage inputs, although it may work now I would expect problems to occur at some point.

PAIAkid1973

Post by PAIAkid1973 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 am

Bertotti wrote:Thanks, a quick question,

I have an MXR carbon copy delay, nice guitar bucket brigade delay I wonder if I can safely use the miniature through it without damaging the Carbon Copy? I have the input specs for the Cabon Copy, Input Impedance 1M Output Impedance 1K, max input level +5Dbv at 500 hz., but I haven't found the actual output of the miniature anywhere can some one help me out please? I really do not want to damage the Carbon Copy.
+5 dBv is ~1.8 volts, this is considered Pro-levels which is +4 dBv

Here is a good website for converting back and forth

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

PS Thanks for the warning about excessive cv levels
I am going to look at coming up with some sort of cv "limiter"
Maybe the Moog CP-251 does this?

Thanks,
PAiAkid1973
Moog Minitaur, Korg MS-20, Korg Poly 61, Roland MC-303, Roland JD-xi, Peavey DualDeltaFex, Ibanez ES2, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Arturia Beatstep, Korg SQ-1, MIDI keyboard, a pile of patch cords

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:11 am

PAIAkid1973 wrote:
Bertotti wrote:Thanks, a quick question,

+5 dBv is ~1.8 volts, this is considered Pro-levels which is +4 dBv

Here is a good website for converting back and forth

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

PS Thanks for the warning about excessive cv levels
I am going to look at coming up with some sort of cv "limiter"
Maybe the Moog CP-251 does this?

Thanks,
PAiAkid1973
A CP-251 will absolutely do this. BUT it only has two attenuators, and between gate/pitch/velocity for the two sequencer channels, you'd need 3 CP's. Not counting the drum gates. My suggestion would be to make a trip to your local electronic components store (like radio shack) and build a simple attenuator box. There are lots of instructions on the muff wiggler forum. you'd need 6 - 1/8 mono panel mount jacks, and 6 - 1/4 mono panel mount jacks, 6 potentiometers, and some wire. Then put the whole thing in your enclosure of choice. This isn't a difficult project by any means. Depending on how nice you want it to look, it's the kind of thing that can be done in an evening. Total cost should be about $30. Verses buying 3 CP-251's at $380 each. Granted, the CP's do a lot more than attenuating.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:40 pm

PAIAkid1973 wrote:
jsharpphoto wrote:The Arturia Beatstep Pro would work. It sends gate, pitch cv and "velocity" cv for two separate channels at once. The "velocity" lane can be used for anything that you can modulate that is l as precise than pitch. Filter cutoff would be the most commonly used.
Are you saying that you use CV’s from the Beatstep Pro to drive a Minituar?

I have been worried about the BSP’s 10 volt max CV output vs. the Minitaur’s supposedly 5 volt max CV input.

Although, I have been driving an MS-20 with the BSP CV output and the MS-20 says -5 volt to +5 volt, at least on the patch panel.
Nothing bad has happened yet, I think.
Are there any news on the issue of BSP potentially frying a moog? I am getting a BSP, and would love to use the cvs with my Minitaur, but I would be rather safe than sorry.

It seems to me that people converge on the necessity of some degree of attenuation. Cables or DIY boxes. As I think e.g. KOMA cables appear a bit imprecise and as I am hopeless at soldering, I am lost. I am quite surprised that one cannot get small attenuator boxes commercially. There is of course one like this http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm for Eurorack, but even though its price appears decent, it will bring along lots of extra costs, and I probably should have three. :?

However, regarding the safety of the Moog I have also a specific question. It may be silly, but I take the chance. The Minitaur will not accept cv in higher than 5v. The BSP goes to 10v. Can one assume that when you reach the highest tone the Minitaur is supposed to, you are entering >5v territory? In other words, never going higher than that note in your sequences would keep you from frying the moog?
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.