Newbie - Minitaur acting strange

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
bava

Newbie - Minitaur acting strange

Post by bava » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:28 am

Let me start by saying this is my first analog synth.. I bought it used and as soon as I brought it home, first thing I did was update it to Firmware 2.1.1 and installed editor 3.0.

Here is what the Minitaur is doing:

When I plug in the minitaur to my computer via USB everything looks good. The standalone Editor changes as I move the dials on the synth. However the sound does not change.. some things like the cutoff does work, but the setting 'restores' itself on the Editor to whatever it was when I launched the editor. And so for a little bit (a second or two) the sound changes to reflect the change I make on the synth, but the editor forces the settings to go back to the state it was on the Editor (and not reflect the change that is actually on the synth).

I hope that makes sense... can anyone guide me in the right direction as to what I might be doing wrong? Is the Firmware not compatible with the version of Minitaur that I have?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

till

Re: Newbie - Minitaur acting strange

Post by till » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:34 am

Have you selected the Minitaur in the Editor Setup Settings as MIDI Input and MIDI Output?
Do you have other MIDI related software opened on your computer while doing so?
And no MIDI connection at the same time as the USB for test?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

bava

Post by bava » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:57 am

Yes, I did select the Minitaur in the Editor as MIDI in and Out.

At the time the only other thing plugged in was my Audio Interface but no other MIDI related software was open.

So just a little bit about my setup to give some context:

Windows 7 64-bit w/ Ableton Live 8
Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 Audio interface
M-Audio Axiom 25 MIDI controller
Mackie Onyx 1640i Mixer
Moog Minitaur

FOLLOWING ARE TWO SETUPS I'VE TRIED WITH THE PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED BELOW EACH SETUP:

Setup 1:
Axiom 25 MIDI out to Minitaur MIDI in
Minitaur audio OUT to a channel on the Mackie Mixer
Mackie audio OUT to Scarlett Audio interface IN
Of course Scarlett Audio Interface is plugged into the PC
NO USB from Minitaur to PC

Problem:
No sound from the Minitaur at all when I play any notes on the MIDI controller. I do get sound from other inputs in the mixer so its not the mixer... and in the setup below I do get sound from the Minitaur but not in this setup.

Setup 2:
Focusrite Scarlett Audio Interface MIDI out to Minitaur MIDI in
Minitaur audio OUT to a channel on the Mackie Mixer
Mackie audio OUT to Scarlett Audio interface IN
Minitaur USB to PC

Problem:
When I plug in the minitaur to my computer via USB everything looks good. The standalone Editor changes as I move the dials on the synth. However the sound does not change.. some things like the cutoff does change, but the setting 'restores' itself on the Editor to whatever it was when I launched the editor. And so for a little bit (a second or two) the sound changes to reflect the change I make on the synth, but the editor forces the settings to go back to the state it was on the Editor (and not reflect the change that is actually on the synth).

bava

Post by bava » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Anyone....? Bueller...?

:(