Minitaur Editor plugin in Logic X

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
umutgokcen

Minitaur Editor plugin in Logic X

Post by umutgokcen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:35 am

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to Amos and all others who kept up the support for the mighty sounding Minitaur. I personally have stopped using it in the studio/production environment due to the inconsistencies in patch handling and recallability. This weekend I pulled it out again, updated the firmware and installed the editor. So far everything "works", however there are still glitches that render the Minitaur useless unless you are just playing it live.

In Logic X I inserted the Minitaur editor as a software instrument and selected the Minitaur Midi port as the input and output device on the editor. I was able to retrieve patches from the unit and the movements of the hardware knobs were mirrored in the software and vice versa. The extended panel is a great idea by the way; it really makes tweaking patches much easier. I played around for a while and after I was happy with my bass sound I saved the logic project and quit. Then I restarted Logic and opened the same project. The minitaur panel looked exactly the same however the sound was not. In particular I noticed that the LFO midi sync tempo value and the LFO filter amount were off. Indeed, when I touched these controls on the editor window the sound of the unit jumped to the onscreen values. It would be nice if someone - preferably from tech support - can replicate this problem and advise a solution.

As a workaround I tried saving my settings as a preset, but that did not work either. On the editor I chose "save as" and gave it name, but as soon as the preset was saved the sound changed significantly. This time I could not figure out which parameters were different than the values shown on screen, as the change was more dramatic. So, in all any kind of patch saving and recall does not work properly in Logic. I can always record audio obviously but I would have bought a vintage analog synth if that was all I wanted to do.

I hope I don't have to wait another year to make Minitaur a permanent part of my studio... :(

Umut