MIDI in Windows 7 - 8.1

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
TheRezzer

MIDI in Windows 7 - 8.1

Post by TheRezzer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:03 am

Afternoon all.

I saw a couple of related posts to this issue but thought i would start a fresh instance.

So, are any of you having issues with MIDI in Windows 8.1? I know i certainly am, and having jut spent the best part of around 20 hours researching it i believe i may have found the cause of the issue, and also hope to suggest a solution that would need to be picked up by Moog themselves.

Here's my set up spec:
CPU: i7 2.67GHz O/C'd to 3.2GHz
RAM: 24GB 1600DDR3
DAW: Maschine 2.0 64bit

Here's how i'm cabled up:
Maschine > USB (We'll call it number 1) > PC
- and
Minitaur > USB (2) > PC

Here's the process i go through to get audio from the Minitaur and to open the Editor:
1 - Select Maschine Group A
2 - Select the fist sound pad on the Maschine
3 - I change the Audio Input to Ext. 1 - My Minitaur is plugged in to sound card input 5L which i have designated as Ext.1 in Maschine
4 - I change the output MIDI destination to "Moog Minitaur" channel "1"
5 - I change the input MIDI source to "All" channel "All" - this is because i also want my Korg MicroKey to be utilised to play the Minitaur - And yes, i have tried setting this to source "Moog Minitaur" channel "1" and this also doesn't work - i'll explain why in a moment.
6 - I insert an instance of the Editor on to he same sound pad that i have audio coming in to.
- Just for clarity, on a Maschine the first slot on a sound pad is designated for either a VST instrument or a VST effect. The second slot is designated for a VST effect only. The Editor should be able to work as either and i've tried it in both slot positions.
7 - I open the Editor and under settings change the MIDI input and output to "Moog Minitaur"
And set ECHO MIDI to "On"

So, what can i see that IS happening:
I can write in MIDI data in to the Maschine piano roll and that data is played back through the Minitaur - The MIDI light on the Minitaur flashes - The MIDI Out light on the Editor Flashes
I can play the Minitaur using my Kork MicroKey - The MIDI light on the Minitaur flashes - The MIDI Out light on the Editor Flashes
The Maschine rotary knobs control Editor - Only theMIDI Out light on the Editor Flashes

So, what can i see that ISN'T happening:
I cannot use the Mintaur to control the Editor. When i turn a knob on the editor the midi light on the Minitaur flashes - The MIDI Out light on the Editor Flashes - but the corresponding knob on the Editor remains static.

As stated, having just spent hours trying to diagnose this i have arrived at the following conclusion. In Windows 7 Microsoft began to phase out MIDI support from it's base infrastructure. In XP the MS Wavetable Synth contained a MIDI Mapper that would allow MIDI programs that didn't allow for selecting a specific MIDI output channel, and would therefore be automatically allocated to MIDI port 0, to still be routed to their destination MID device. This practice has however been ceased in versions of Windows 7-8.1 and no longer takes place. Now, as in my instance - by going to Device Manager: Right click the "Start" icon in the bottom left hand corner of the screen >Device Manager > View > Show Hidden Devices > Software Devices - i can see that my Minitaur has been set up on it's MIDI In to use channel 1 and on it's MIDI out to use channel 0. So, basically, the data sent over this port is effectively being black holed as it's not reaching it's destination. From reading the forums it would appear that MS are starting to take a more Apple approach to their infrastructure and are starting to phase elements out of their build, MIDI support being one. Meaning that we are unlikely to see a return to the same functionality for MIDI that we all enjoyed in XP.

Is there anything that we can do?
Well, this apparently can't be amended in any way. I've tried changing registry keys and the following 2 applications to try and get it working but to no avail. That being said it may work for one of you as others around the webs have reported.
http://www.benryves.com/products/vistamidi
http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

However, looks like a long-term fix is going to need to be implemented by Moog whereby they include functionality into their Editor that allows for choosing the assigned MIDI port.

Anyways, hope that this may have alleviated any stress that anyone was having with this issue.

Carl.