How to control a Timefactor

This is the place to share tips, tricks and questions about Moog's controller products; the MP-201 Multi-Pedal and the EP-2. There are a world of applications for these expression enhancers. Explore...
thule

How to control a Timefactor

Post by thule » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:39 am

I have finally started using my MP-201 to control a Timefactor with midi. I am using the MP in Quad mode and I want to program it so that I get an "instant stutter-sound" when I step on a button. I want to use it momentarily to add some glitch to my playing.
I tried to program the MP to send a program change-message when I press a button but it didn't work and I don't understand why. I have really read the manual forwards and backwards but maybe I have missed something.

I have posted on the Eventide-forum and someone suggested that I should control the mix with a LFO and I will try that. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

stiiiiiiive

Re: How to control a Timefactor

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:39 am

Hey Thule, welcome.

I'm not sure to get what you want to achieve.
- Do you want to enable/disable a Timefactor effect, or do you wnat to control the dry/wet mix?
- If on/off it is, do you want to have a MP-201 switch to toggle the sttus or do you want to have the effect on only when depressed?
- Do you want to change the Timefactor program with the MP or do you want to control a single program at a time?

thule

Post by thule » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:25 am

Hi,

This is what I want: regardless of what sound I am using at the moment I want to be able to step on a button for an instant stutter-sound. If possible I would like to have the effect only when I press the button.
I don't know if this is possible with the MP + Timefactor. I tried to control the mix with a LFO but it didn't give me the sound that I wanted.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 am

Ok so I guess you want to have the mix dry when the MP is not pressed and XX% wet when stepped.
I would try the envelope function: I don't have the parameters in mind but I think you can set the max amplitude. Then set the switch to momentary, set the channel to be transmitted over MIDI on the right CC#. Check the channel and there you (should) go.

Anyone correct me.

thule

Post by thule » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:52 am

I will try that, thank you!

thule

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:07 am

If by "instant stutter" you mean a tremolo, where the sound appears and disappears then reappears continuously then there are lots of ways to do that... You will need to use the tremolo delay, and set up the foot rocker / or single switch to change the TimeFactor's parameters. In the TimeFactor manual it will tell you how to set up an expression pedal by setting the dials to the first desired knob position, rocking the pedal, then the next desired knob position and rocking the pedal. Read the manual about this. If in trem delay, set the effected signal to sound as if it were bypassed, and set up the MP in EXP or momentary and capture this position. Next set up a wild stutter effect with delay near 0, and the trem cranked up in depth, and set your speed & shape in the TimeFactor. Capture this position. Now you will be able to flip between the two. Read the manuals. This effect is achievable without the MP, so you could use the MP for other things like recalling this effect into memory first, rocking out, the resetting it back to where you were. I'm not sure how to set up the MP, but it will likely be a program change that is at each extreme of the rocker. The catch is that when you go back, it has to be back to a saved effect, and not a tweaked setting...

If you mean something different, you will need to explain it in depth, perhaps using sound samples or effect terminology.

The TimeFactor is very powerful, and when automated it can do some wild things.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.