PolyChain????

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
ColorForm2113

PolyChain????

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:04 am

so i was just browsing another forum, and some one brought up a really good point. why doesnt moog have any demos of the voyager or little phatty in a polyphonic chain???? since there are very few who can afford a bunch of voaygers to test it out, why not demo it so we can at least have a taste of it?

and also, is it possible to polychain the voyager os, or is that something that has to be done via midi?

Thanks

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:47 am

Ive been wondering why there are NO videos of duophonic Moogs anywhere myself. Not even on the Voyager DVD or the First SI dvd when they had the RME up there too.

I don't think its possible to polychain the OS, but you can master/slave them all day long.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:19 am

There was somebody here who chained an LP and a Voyager for duophony a while back. Poly on the OS is impossible because the Pitch and Gate CVs are monophonic.

I'd love to hear a stack of 15 (in tune) RMEs playing some string patches, cray FM, or something. If I won the lottery I would do it myself!

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:07 am

I should make a video. :)
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:49 am

I have a Voyager PE and an RME. I could not get it to work right. Tried most every possible setting and it just did not work properly. Sometimes I would get both on the same key, sometimes dead keys. Best I was able to get was a setup like the Oberheim 2 voice, one set to high note priority and one set low. Both sounded as mono notes and split with two held down.
I gave up, it was very fustrating, but I would have purchased two more RME's if it had worked.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:49 am

Maskin wrote:I should make a video. :)
Yes. Yes you should

Yeah I didn't think the os could be polyfied. But master/slaving a bunch of them would be amazing

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 pm

That will be the first thing I do if I get another LP. I'm considering it after I take delivery of the Taurus pedals. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:59 pm

CZ Rider wrote:I have a Voyager PE and an RME. I could not get it to work right. Tried most every possible setting and it just did not work properly. Sometimes I would get both on the same key, sometimes dead keys. Best I was able to get was a setup like the Oberheim 2 voice, one set to high note priority and one set low. Both sounded as mono notes and split with two held down.
I gave up, it was very fustrating, but I would have purchased two more RME's if it had worked.
CZ, how long ago was this? You can change the "voice number" from the menu, i.e. PE = 1, RME = 2. Just a thought.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:11 pm

latigid on wrote: CZ, how long ago was this? You can change the "voice number" from the menu, i.e. PE = 1, RME = 2. Just a thought.
Hey Latigid On,
Thanks for the tip! Not sure what I tried but I did try every setting and could not get it to work in a predictable way.
So I tried again this morning, and finally figured out what the problem was. OK, the first clue I got was from the menu labled "MIDI in key order". Again it did not work properly, but I noticed the RME was triggering fine on the second note, it was the PE that kept jumping to the second note. Then I realized it was the PE keyboard that was responding in the way any monophonic would, by jumping to the second note held. So.... I disabled local on the PE, looped the MIDI out back to MIDI in, and MIDI thru to the RME. DUH...now it works?
I'm not a big fan of MIDI but I guess this is the only way to make multi synths work together. Now I'll have to re-assign all of my cool patches to respond from MIDI messages for the touch pad, but this is another reason why with local on, the PE responded to the pad but not the RME.
So, I had all the settings right, it was the PE keyboard that was giving me the difficulty. (Missed this part in the manual?) To sum it up: The poly chain only works under MIDI control of all synths in the chain!
Thanks for the help!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:41 pm

No worries, it looks like you helped yourself mostly. Are you going to buy those extra RMEs now? :wink:

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:39 pm

latigid on wrote:No worries, it looks like you helped yourself mostly. Are you going to buy those extra RMEs now? :wink:
Hey, you got me to look at try this again. Sometimes all you need is a little push in the right direction. I have been playing a two-vioce Voyager for the past 20 hours or so. Had to take a sleep brake!
It almost works perfectly, but I play either too fast or too sloppy for MIDI and I've been getting notes hanging. Not very often, but enough that it would be difficult to try it live. It is really cool the way you adjust parameters on the PE and both respond. I own two model D's and at one time borrowed another to get a three voice Mini going. But it was impractical because a simple envelope adjustment had to be done three times. I would add a third unit, because with two I'm playing intervals, three you have a chord!

It is badass though. Not like a Voyager times 2, more like an exponential function, a Voyager to the second power.
Perhaps I'll put up a video! :lol:

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:33 pm

http://www.moogmusic.com/controllers/?s ... t_id=21291

You can hear a duophonic Voyager for a second on this Video, demonstrating the CP251 with various Foogers on the Moogerfooger training DVD.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:04 pm

CZ Rider wrote:
It is badass though. Not like a Voyager times 2, more like an exponential function, a Voyager to the second power.
Perhaps I'll put up a video! :lol:
PLEASE MAKE A VIDEO! :D

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Anyone know how to set this up with a LP and a RME?
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.