MG-1 Restoration

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Platner

MG-1 Restoration

Post by Platner » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:46 am

I just purchased an MG-1. I love the sound and as far as I can tell everything on it works 100% and cosmetically it is excellent. I would like to remove the "dreaded foam residue" which I believe I am capable of doing however I'm a little hesitant because the replacement sliders, complete kit or individual, appear to be no longer available. It seems that Technology Transplant is no longer doing business and the two distributors of their kits no longer have them in stock. I have searched the internet and have come up empty.

I'm leaning on just simply leaving it alone and not messing with it. I would like to lubricate the sliders, they work but are a tad stiff but still functional. For the last two days I think I have read everything on the web about cleaning and restoring this instrument but cannot find any information regarding the lubrication of the sliders.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thealien666

Re: MG-1 Restoration

Post by thealien666 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Removing the FOD (Foam Of Death) is not as easy as it might seem. It is extremely sticky and will have certainly dripped inside the sliders (hence their stiffness).
Leaving it alone is not an option, as it will inevitably cause more damage in the long run. Removing it is the best solution, with some gloves, paint thinner or solvent, and lots or rags. You can also remove (desolder) and dismantle each slider and clean them thoroughly inside (again, not an easy job but entirely feasible with patience and care).
Alternatively, you can have a tech do it for you, but at a cost.

Good luck.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion