Wendy Carlos "Coincidence Switch" Module

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

Wendy Carlos "Coincidence Switch" Module

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:10 am

In Carlos’ “The Well Tempered Synthesizer” she describes and demonstrates a module that Bob built called the Coincidence Switch. It can be seen in the picture between the 962 Sequential Switch and the 921 Envelope Follower in the second from the top tier. This module is triggered by three footswitches and as Carlos describes it “it lets you alternate one property of a sound between two or three variations as you played along.”

So does anyone know more about this module or how it works or what it might have been hooked up to?

In the demonstration she played a line and switched between a faster and slower attack.

Would this be pretty much what any A/B/C switch would do or was this one different?
Thanks,
Eric
Last edited by EricK on Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

rarecomponent

Re: Wendy Carlos "Coincidence Switch" Module

Post by rarecomponent » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:42 am

I too have tried to fathom the workings of this custom module along with the touch sensitive EG' s...how come they were not put into production ?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:29 am

Highly customized prototypes only. Much like the "chords generator" for Wendy, and "programmable presets" for Keith...
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:03 am

Did this module have a 9<xx> - number?

I can imagine two forms of automated sound or patch modification: one is the well known sequential switch, which does a rerouting of signals, and the other type is a programmable or predefined CV source which is connected to dedicated modules / modulation inputs. Or a combination of both. The most simple form is a set of trim potis between the power rails which can be selected by a simple switch in banks.

Perhaps Wendy's module is of the combination type...

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:11 pm

It can be found in a number of different systems. It's basically a Programmer module. Sometimes they come with a clock that advances stage by stage, though it's still a Programmer at heart. Usually comes with 3 or 4 rows of knobs per stage.

That's if you're just trying to do what Ms. Carlos does with the C-Switch. If you're trying to recreate the actual module in an exact sort of way, I can't be of much help.

Stephen