HELP: How to have my MPC change my Phatty Presets.

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
chuckfalcon

HELP: How to have my MPC change my Phatty Presets.

Post by chuckfalcon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi everyone! I have ran into a bit of a problem with my current setup. I use an Akai MPC 1000 and a Little Phatty Toxic. When I perform live I have recorded "songs" as sequences on my MPC. The MPC sequences its internal samples and what I played on the Little Phatty, however it doesn't record the preset that I was using on the LP that I was using at the time. SO, each time I go and change a sequence on the MPC, I then have to go and scroll through the presets on my Little Phatty to get the desired one. It can kinda makes me lose my momentum in a live setting, scrolling through presets and such.

Is there a way to get my MPC to automatically recall desired presets on my Little Phatty or am I just dreaming? If recalling presets on the MPC is not an option, is there a pedal or device I can use that will automatically put all of my gear on the "correct" presets and sequences?

I have searched all over and I haven't had much luck. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

EMwhite

Re: HELP: How to have my MPC change my Phatty Presets.

Post by EMwhite » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 am

I don't have an MPC but have worked extensively with Midi sequencers.

"Program Change" is what you are after and it would be easy enough to 'send' a PGM Change at the beginning of a track; MPC may have a setting which allows you to do this WITH the track, in other words, attached to the track and sent as a preamble prior to the sequence starting.

Unfortunately, the Little Phatty only has an encoder for selecting tracks so subsequent turns of a knob will be a bit disruptive if something else is playing.

But that won't stop you from recording Midi from another device on the same channel, or hand editing the Midi data (I do this in Logic all the time).

There are certainly ways to send Program change events from other hardware devices like one of the inexpensive foot pedals, like an old Korg Nanopad (I had one of these), or even drum pads which may be on a generic Midi keyboard controller;

Depending on the firmware in your Phatty, you may have the "Performance Sets" feature which I think appeared as early as 2.02. Have a look there (pg. 50 in manual) It's a way to bind any particular preset in order of convenience so with simple turn of the encoder, you can jump from patch 3 to patch 87 to patch 5, for instance.

If you don't get an answer soon, maybe hit one of the MPC forums, I'm pretty sure this is a common request and easily solved.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

chuckfalcon

Re: HELP: How to have my MPC change my Phatty Presets.

Post by chuckfalcon » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:56 am

Thank you so much for the information. OF COURSE! When I first started using the Moog with my MPC, I would record a line from my Moog to the MPC, and then it would start to loop, but the "over dub" light was still on. As it looped I was changing knobs and presets on the Moog. When I stopped the loop on the MPC and played it back, the Moog kept changing presets and I had no idea why. It was sending Program Change messages in the middle of the loop. Noob mistake.

I have always been in the school of, buy a guitar and amp, write/learn a song, and play with your friends. Electronic music is a whole other beast. Again, thanks for the help. It will save me some time in between songs in my setup.

The encoder may be a an issue, and I may just the performance set that you mentioned. I just found it and it works great. My Novation has up and down buttons as well as number buttons so I can just punch in the exact number preset I want and hopefully that will make the A Station kinda automatic with my sequences.