Help me Choose !

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
@nalogik

Help me Choose !

Post by @nalogik » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:46 am

Hello everybody.

I'm a big fan of the moog sound since well...25 years now but never been able to buy one.
I've only played the prodigy years ago. put my hands on synths like the pro-one, the juno 106, the jupiter 8.....
always loved the analogik sound and the time has come for me to buy a moog.

I was very interrested by the voyager in memory of the minimoog wich i dreamed on a lot :D

Now i've heard (ans saw) the Sub 37 and i have to say that this one is very interresting too.

It's not the same price, and it's not the same synths, the sub 37 is more compact and independent while the voyager seems more versatile

So i will be very pleased that some of you gave me their tips, experiences, advices..... :D

thank you all in advance !

stiiiiiiive

Re: Help me Choose !

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:42 am

Hey @nalogik, welcome to the forum :)

It's a tough choice. I cannot speak about the Sub37, but it seems to have a bunch of good stuffs in its specs. To me, it's a rival for the Voyager: I probably would sell both my Old School and my CV-out Phatty if the Sub37 could received a CV-out extension.

Best thing to do -if possible: try them in person. Maybe someone in your area can offer this. Either way, the choosen one will make you a happy musician!

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:01 am

If you are in a position where you can consider the Voyager, go for the Voyager.
If you are in a position where you can consider the Voyager, you are also in a position where you can reasonably consider a Model D.

Purchasing a Voyager will not eliminate your desire for a Model D, and purchasing another great monosynth will probably not satisfy your urge for a Voyager either.

This isn't to say that the Phatty line isn't great, but you can achieve with the Voyager the things which make the Phattys unique (minus the sub 37's extra note). You can't do on the other synths what the Voyager can do without a lot of supplemental gear (which is always nice also).
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:45 am

Hello @nalogik and welcome ! :D

I'll second EricK on his opinion. If your lifelong dream has been to own a Minimoog D, then don't settle for anything else.

If your wallet don't permit you to get one, however, you can rest assured that current Moog Music synths will satisfy you, provided you don't get the chance to play on a Minimoog D. :wink:

The model that comes the closest is, of course, the Voyager (but not that close sonically however, that title belongs to the vintage Moog The Source). But having seen, and heard, the Sub37 I must say that it's one very interesting synth, both sonically and visually (lots of knobs and control).

Cheers !

Alain.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Sub Phatty XL FTW!

Here's hoping that they come out with an extended version of the Sub37 with a 61 note keybed, CV in and out, full arpeggiator/sequencer, Ribbon Controller, plus XYA touch panel.

I'd keep my Voyager and pick that one up too!

Stephen

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Vsyevolod wrote:Sub Phatty XL FTW!

Here's hoping that they come out with an extended version of the Sub37 with a 61 note keybed, CV in and out, full arpeggiator/sequencer, Ribbon Controller, plus XYA touch panel.

I'd keep my Voyager and pick that one up too!

Stephen

As much as I'd love to see that, Don't do this to me I just payed for my sub37
Dean

@nalogik

Post by @nalogik » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:33 am

Okay guys, thanks a lot for your response. I will probalbly not considering the model D because of few points :

1) Definitely hard to find next to me
2) Price
3) Warranty

on top of that i'll prefer to contribute to moog expension rather than contributing to the second hand market.
So here i go for the voyager. Last synth involved by M. Moog.

I've read tons of articles, hundreds of forum fighting (blablabla moog higher price blablabla DSI more powerfull blablabla), and heard quite a lot sounds.
I'm pretty sure this synth will make me very happy.

As for the Sub 37, i will forget the arpeggiator and the step sequencer. In fact the synth will join some others in a small home studio, so the computer will surely help.

So thank you again, and i will surely post in the right section when my hands will touch this.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:13 am

Now the big decision.....Which model?

Do you live in the USA?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

@nalogik

Post by @nalogik » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:43 am

no, i live in France.

Here i can find the Performer in Classic and White or the Electric Blue. I think my choice will go to the performance model in classic wood. Even if the Electric blue is very nice, a moog in classic finish will have my preference. I don't think of the Old School one because of the lack of memory storage...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:07 pm

@nalogik wrote:So here i go for the voyager. Last synth involved by M. Moog.
Wasn't it the Little Phatty? Anyway, congrats, you'll love it :)

@nalogik

Post by @nalogik » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:50 am

stiiiiiiive wrote: Wasn't it the Little Phatty? Anyway, congrats, you'll love it :)
Yes you are right that was the Phatty.
Anyway voyager ! :D

elmergracia

Post by elmergracia » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 pm

@nalogik wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote: Wasn't it the Little Phatty? Anyway, congrats, you'll love it :)
Yes you are right that was the Phatty.
Anyway voyager ! :D
Hi. How's your new voyager? New member here, was a little late in contributing on an opinion but congrats anyway. :D