Abandoned Moog Modular in India

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
dr_floyd

Abandoned Moog Modular in India

Post by dr_floyd » Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm

http://www.eastofborneo.org/articles/su ... g-in-india

Very sad photo of an abandoned Moog modular. Also interesting to read of Tudor's dislike for both man and machine version of Moog.

thealien666

Re: Abandoned Moog Modular in India

Post by thealien666 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:54 pm

I'll never understand people not taking care of such expensive, and precious, instruments.

Some people just don't care. And I don't care about such people, even if he's been dead for 17 years.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Looks like a IIp with a sequencer cab. Wonder what the cab on the lower right is? And what are those VU meters for?

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Wed May 08, 2013 8:53 pm

Always wondered what was in that large crate going to India with Bob and Co. posing in Trumansburg.
From The Moog Archive site:
Looks to be a stock 2P with an extra cabinet containing a 960 sequencer and 912 envelope followers, with two custom preamps.

There were many abandoned Moogs in the dark ages of the 80's. I remember explaning to many 80's synth players that a Minimoog was still usefull as a bass and lead synthesizer. I was told it was mostly useless as it had no memory presets and only played one note at a time. Very few wanted a monophonic synthesizer at the time. That was just the mindset back then. Glad it has gone full circle and the old Moogs are fully appreciated for what they are today.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

Box

Post by Box » Wed May 08, 2013 9:15 pm

CZ Rider wrote:There were many abandoned Moogs in the dark ages of the 80's. I remember explaning to many 80's synth players that a Minimoog was still usefull as a bass and lead synthesizer. I was told it was mostly useless as it had no memory presets and only played one note at a time. Very few wanted a monophonic synthesizer at the time. That was just the mindset back then. Glad it has gone full circle and the old Moogs are fully appreciated for what they are today.
I could've done with the appreciation holding off for another decade or so. I was born at the wrong time and now I have to pay an arm and a leg for a collector's item just so I can use it for its original purpose.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Wed May 08, 2013 11:35 pm

The horror! The title of this thread should warn of the graphic image.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 09, 2013 1:23 am

Yikes! Horrible After/Before pics. The doctor is surely smiling, which sucks seeing what happened to the unit.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 am

Tudor sounds like the typical intellectual stereotypical ass. Hates everything, so has to create a weird environment around himself and fill it with sycophants. Be a footnote in the lives of luminaries of the time. Like Wyatt hanging out with every musician in US in the 70's.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

tommyecho

Post by tommyecho » Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 pm

I think David Tudor was pretty freaking cool, personally.

:D
THE GOLDEN MINIMOOG VOYAGER #31

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu May 09, 2013 3:44 pm

CZ Rider wrote:Always wondered what was in that large crate going to India with Bob and Co. posing in Trumansburg.
From The Moog Archive site:
Looks to be a stock 2P with an extra cabinet containing a 960 sequencer and 912 envelope followers, with two custom preamps.

There were many abandoned Moogs in the dark ages of the 80's. I remember explaning to many 80's synth players that a Minimoog was still usefull as a bass and lead synthesizer. I was told it was mostly useless as it had no memory presets and only played one note at a time. Very few wanted a monophonic synthesizer at the time. That was just the mindset back then. Glad it has gone full circle and the old Moogs are fully appreciated for what they are today.
Wonder what the crate is worth?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:46 pm

Probably $20 in wood. :mrgreen:
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 pm

thealien666 wrote:Probably $20 in wood. :mrgreen:
That's not just any crate, my friend--that's a Moog crate!
Bob surely touched it! Maybe the wood came from his farm (is it walnut???)

Let the bidding begin!!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Indian tech support wasn't what it is now.

MC

Post by MC » Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am

The article says the studio suffered flooding of eight feet of water, and that Moog looks like it has flood damage.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

MC

Post by MC » Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 am

Trigger wrote:
thealien666 wrote:Probably $20 in wood. :mrgreen:
That's not just any crate, my friend--that's a Moog crate!
Bob surely touched it! Maybe the wood came from his farm (is it walnut???)

Let the bidding begin!!
Heh... I just joined a southern rock band based in Trumansburg. The drummer/founder is a member of the Tompkins County historical society. When I told him of my RAM Minimoog, he said he knew Bob Moog back when the company was still in Trumansburg. He knew where Bob lived because he had done some cabinet woodworking for the RA Moog shop, he had supplied some of the walnut they used :!: I'm going to have him make a replacement walnut trim for the top of the panel on my Minimoog, which was MIA when I bought it.

So I'm a Moog enthusiast playing piano in a southern rock band founded by a historian who knows the Moog history which is based in the town that birthed Moog synthesizers - and I'm not playing on any Moogs :? The only southern rock song I know of that had any Moog was Skynyrd's "Saturday Night Special", and you have to strain to pick it out of the mix. And I have a pic of the late great Steve Gaines in the studio, and in the background is a Moog 55 modular.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi