Memorymoog keys not working

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
metatronix

Memorymoog keys not working

Post by metatronix » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing a common vintage synth problem on my Memorymoog plus and would really appreciate any advice you can give me before I attempt to repair it.

Here's the problem: I noticed that the same 3 key are not working on every other octave. However, when triggered through midi all notes play fine.

When I press the auto tune button it says 6 tuned so I'm thinking it's a contact/connection problem and not a voice issue???

I was going to follow the link below and and clean the keyboard contacts.

http://www.retrosynth.com/~analoguedieh ... emorymoog/

What do you guys think? Anyone have the same problem?

Thanks for your help.

MC

Re: Memorymoog keys not working

Post by MC » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 am

Your voicecards are fine. Something is wonky in the keyboard system. You can try the cleaning on that webpage (I wrote that page) but if it doesn't work then something is wrong with the circuit.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 am

Also possibly bad/oxidized contacts in the keyboard connectors to the printed circuit boards maybe ?
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Kevin Lightner

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:26 am

Offhand guess: keyboard cable loose
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

metatronix

Post by metatronix » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 pm

thanks for the help guys. i hope it's an easy fix.

i'll let you know how it goes.

:)

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem. When playing chromatically one note at a time along the keyboard every sixth note isn't triggering.

Anyone know a possible cause of this? The keyboard connector and cable are ok and the contacts should be clean.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

MC

Post by MC » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:33 pm

A voicecard isn't triggering. Could be many causes.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

gencomprodukts

Post by gencomprodukts » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 pm

The best way to repair the panasonic keys contacts is to use Caikote 44. My MM+ had several malfuncting keys (bad contacts on some keys or no contacts at all) and everthing works fine now. Caikote 44 is very easy to use and it's very cheap. A perfect tool, i higly recommand.
MOOG Memorymoog+, Sub 37, CP251, ROLAND SH-1, SH-2, SH-7, SH101, Juno 60, SVC350, TR808, SCI Prophet 5 Rev.3.1, KORG Mono/poly, KR55, OBERHEIM SEM, WALDORF Microwave 1, DSI Prophet 08 Desktop PE, BOSS DR-55, BassBot TT303, AKAI MPC1000 JJOS2XL.

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:32 am

If every sixth key is missing anywhere you play on the keyboard, the problem is not the keyboard.

You can find a service manual online that will help diagnose which voice is problematic. You can also disable the faulty voice card, once you determine which one it is.

I recommend you take it in for service, though.

gencomprodukts

Post by gencomprodukts » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:02 am

Wesley wrote:If every sixth key is missing anywhere you play on the keyboard, the problem is not the keyboard.

You can find a service manual online that will help diagnose which voice is problematic. You can also disable the faulty voice card, once you determine which one it is.

I recommend you take it in for service, though.
Well, maybe i'm wrong but i don't realy think it's a faulty voice card since everything works fine when triggering with an external midi keyboard (see the first post) and the system controller says 6 tuned after the auto-tune routine so i suggest to check first the Kbd contacts then the Kybd Ribbon cable (i've already had the same issue and it was the ribbon cable socket).
MOOG Memorymoog+, Sub 37, CP251, ROLAND SH-1, SH-2, SH-7, SH101, Juno 60, SVC350, TR808, SCI Prophet 5 Rev.3.1, KORG Mono/poly, KR55, OBERHEIM SEM, WALDORF Microwave 1, DSI Prophet 08 Desktop PE, BOSS DR-55, BassBot TT303, AKAI MPC1000 JJOS2XL.

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:52 am

Sorry, I should have made it clear I was addressing JJJ s problem in 2015, missing every sixth note, not the original poster in 2012. My comment stands.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Triple J,

I`m going to forward your issue to my tech, maybe he has also some ideas as he spent most of his time the last two years on 4 Memorymoogs.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Now look, here`s what my tech tells:

1. No voicecards wrong, very likely.

2.There`s a buss bar for data lines connected whith the keybed. Check this and all connectors carefully.

3.There`s a cable leaded from the keybed to the digital board and plugged into P48B . Check pin 6 from the cable (white/blue) = data line 6. Check this very carefully. Now continue to go on checking the printed circuit leading to the IC: U28, pin 15.

4. The following should be done ONLY if you`re very courageous !!!!!!!
On the digital board there are two plugs that are connected with the keybed: P48A (pin1) and P48B (pin 6)
Try now, VERY CAREFULLY !!!!! NEVER TOUCH TWO PINS AT THE SAME TIME !!!!! to connect the pin one from P48A with P48B pin 6, the Instrument must be switched on for this action. When you succeed to connect these both pins and you can hear a sound, then there must be anything wrong with the keybed or the connectiom to.
But note again: NEVER TOUCH TWO "NEIGHBOURED" PINS AT THE SAME TIME !!!!!!!

5. What you also can do is to remove the upper IC: U28 and put it back in the socket CAREFULLY !!! to brush away oxidations.

Good work and good luck :)
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.