Moog Rogue - CV Sequencing

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
HiddenConcept

Moog Rogue - CV Sequencing

Post by HiddenConcept » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 am

Hello all,

Newbie to the forum here!

I'm hoping that the solution to my problem is rather simple and that one of you can help to point me in the right direction.

I'm running CV sequnces to my Moog Rogue and everything is sounding great as far as the sequences and the Rogue are concerend; however, I'm not able to change the root note of the sequence on the fly by pressing one of the keys on the Rogue. Shouldn't this be simple? Here's a video of someone sequencing a Prodigy in the same manner that I'm trying to seuence my Rogue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlzHh0N5PJU

If it helps at all, I've noticed that the cables I'm running from the sequencers cv keyboard and gate outputs into the Rogue's cv keyboard and trigger inputs are not stereo TRS cables. Like I said, the sequences are playing back fine, but I'm wondering if the cables that I've run may have something to with my problem? Does the Rogue have to send note on messages, in order to change the root note on the sequencer? Or, is this simply something that the Rogue isn't capable of doing and I'm basically SOL?

Any info is greatly appreciated! :D

HiddenConcept

Re: Moog Rogue - CV Sequencing

Post by HiddenConcept » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:26 am

Hello all,

I decided to purchase the mono 1/8 to TRS 1/4 patch cables this weekend, in order toi see if that would solve my problem, but it did not. At this point in time, I'm still not having any luck trying to change the root note of the sequences simply by pressing the keys on the Rogue while it is being sequenced via CV.

If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

HiddenConcept

Post by HiddenConcept » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Wow! I'm surprised that I've received no answers to my question....

This is the Moog Forum; correct?

Am I asking my question in the wrong place?

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 am

First, when you connect your CV/Gate input jacks that takes the keyboard out of the circuit. That's why you hear one note when you have a jack in place.

Second what are you running sequences from? A computer? Hardware sequencer? What exactly? How are they connected?

Maybe there's no reponses because we need a bit more info.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

HiddenConcept

Post by HiddenConcept » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 am

Mr. Arkadin,

Thank you for your response, it is greatly appreciated!

The sequencer I'm using is a TB-303 - I'm using two 1/8 mono to 1/4 TRS (stereo) cables (each cable is a single lead, there is not a 'Y' on the stereo end) to connect the TB-303 Keyboard/Gate cv outs into the Rogue's Keyboard/Trigger cv inputs.

The sequences and sounds that I'm getting are nice, but they would be even better if I were able to change the root note of the sequences on the fly.

If the keyboard is taken out of the circuit when inserting the cables into the keyboard/gate cv inputs of an analog synth; how was the guy in the video that I've provided in my previous post able to change the root note when sequencing his Prodigy via cv? I've seen this done before in person too, but it's been ages...

Is this a hardware limitation?

Thoughts?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 pm

You do know that the external pitch CV input is on the "ring" of the 1/4" TRS connector on the Rogue, and the output is on the "tip", right ?

By connecting a mono 1/4" jack there, you effectively short out the input.

You need a stereo (TRS) 1/4" plug on which the CV coming from your TB-303 is connected to the ring, and nothing is connected to the tip. Similarly to what your are doing with the trigger connector, you can use a stereo 1/4" jack that leads to two 1/8" independent mono jacks, and connect the pitch CV out from the TB-303 to the one that connects to the ring (right channel).

Internally, the keyboard is always connected and its CV is added to the one coming from an external source. So you should be able to "add" a voltage to the ones coming from your TB-303, and effectively transpose the root key as you play.

When properly connected, everything should behave normally, as in the video.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:28 pm

HiddenConcept wrote: If the keyboard is taken out of the circuit when inserting the cables into the keyboard/gate cv inputs of an analog synth; how was the guy in the video that I've provided in my previous post able to change the root note when sequencing his Prodigy via cv? I've seen this done before in person too, but it's been ages...

Is this a hardware limitation?

Thoughts?
Yes, it would be a hardware limitation of the Rogue. The simple answer is on the later model Prodigy, it has both a Keyboard in/out jack and an Oscillator input jack. The Oscillator input jack is the one used to sum with the Prodigy keyboard and can be used to transpose an incoming sequencer when patched that way.
This is probably what is going on in the video. The Minimoog also has an oscillator input on the back, and works quite well with an incomming sequencer voltage to be transposed by the keyboard. As to why the Rogue acts the way it does is a bit of a mystery to me. The schematic shows no switching jack taking the keyboard voltage out of the circuit. But there is a note next to the diagram of the keyboard input stating. "Using 'keyboard in' overides keyboard". And there is no adder between the jack input and voltage from the Rogue keyboard, they are just connected together. And when you put voltage on that input it does override the internal keyboard CV. The odd part about this behavior is on paper, you should be able to take the keyboard out from the Rogue and using an external voltage adding module, add that voltage to a sequencer voltage to transpose. Then send the added voltages back into the Rogue. But no matter how many times I tried with a Roland 100M module 132 voltage mixer module, I could not add the Rogue keyboard voltage to a sequence voltage I had comming from a Minibrute. The Rogue voltage acted unstable going back into itself and the voltage drooped after a key was released. So I could find no solution to using the Rogue keyboard as a transpose.
Anyone else figure out how to do this? Perhaps the 100M mixer was incompatable with the Moog?
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:51 pm

CZ Rider, I stand corrected. I didn't know of this little sentence "Using keyboard in, overrides keyboard".
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Well I have always used TRS cables on my Rogue and it's always done what is being described, i.e. whatever note you press you get the same note. The other minor thing is that if it did work, the Rogue would output a different note as although it's 1V/Oct it's set to a different note (I think what would normally be C is an F, or something like that).
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 pm

I sequence my Rogue using a Roland MPU-101. It is my experience that you cannot change the root key of the sequence with the Rogue keyboard. The transpose function must be done via the sequencer. There is probably a function in your sequencer or DAW that will do this.

Good luck.

HiddenConcept

Post by HiddenConcept » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 am

You guys rock - Thank you so much for all of your responses! :D

Atimchak

Post by Atimchak » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi guys - I recently bought a future retro revolution, which provides MIDI-CV conversion, with CV out 1v/oct standard, and gate positive from 0 to +12V. I'm getting my Rogue back from service this week, and want to use my revolution to sequence it. I've read elsewhere that the Rogue accepts from +3V to +10V. Would I damage my Rogue if I don't attenuate the voltage from my sequencer gate?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Alex

Atimchak

Post by Atimchak » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am

I heard back from another source, so will post this here for the good of the forum:

-Would I damage my Rogue if I don't attenuate the voltage from my sequencer gate?

No. The gate input is protected via a 10K resistor which should limit any unwanted current. And since the internal voltage of the Rogue is also 12V, a 12V gate will be fine.

Be sure you use a TRS jack plug though and apply the gate on the ring connection. The tip is used as an S-trig input/output.

I've attached a pic from another person's previous post too (thanks moley whereever you are!) - not mine but will add it here to hopefully help someone else out:

RogueAction

Post by RogueAction » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Greetings All-

This is my first time posting. I've just picked up The Rogue and was hoping to find info on running my Nord Electro 3 through the filters of the Rogue.
I used a stereo adapter at the end of my cable to trigger the "in", but no sound at all.

I'm new to synths in general, although I've been with music and keys my entire life. Is it possible to run a board like the Nord through the Rogue or will it only take triggers from a sequencer? Ideally I'd like to run bass, drum tracks, etc through the Rogue if possible!

Looking forward to any feedback/advice! Thanks in advance!
Joshua

Wesley

Post by Wesley » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:30 pm

Try the following:

Connect the Nord audio out to the Rogue audio in.
Connect the Rogue audio out to your mixer.
In the Rogue Contour Generator section, set VCA Mode switch to "bypass".
In the Rogue Mixer section, set all sliders to minimum.
Set Rogue filter emphasis slider to minimum.
Set Rogue filter cutoff slider to midpoint.

The Nord should now be heard with the Rogue filtering it.