Rackmount EQ/filter with hi-pass

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Rabalder

Rackmount EQ/filter with hi-pass

Post by Rabalder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:05 am

Im looking for a 1 unit rackmount EQ or filter with hi-pass.
Its for live performance and needs to have a very simple and effective layout.
Hi-pass would be the most important feature. Some coloring is also a good thing.

Ive looked at the "vermona action filter" which seams perfect, but I dont really know anything about this stuff.
If anyone know anything worth mentioning, please do..

Ill be using it with one of my slim phatties which primarily do dirty brutal basslines.

1 unit 19" rack mount
hi-pass
Analog
Some coloring
Not insanely expensive

:?:

Sir Nose

Re: Rackmount EQ/filter with hi-pass

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:52 am

I just finished up a search for that exact thing this week.

Electro-Harmonix Bi-Filter available new or a used at http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =bi+filter
Electrix Pro Filter Factory
Vermona Filter Lancet (mono)
Akai MFC42
Vermona Action Filter I and II
Vermona Cross Filter- would have be absolutely perfect for the application I had in mind, not currently made and not easy to find

There are some higher end options these were all sub $500ish.

What did I settle on?
A Stanton DJF-1
What? DJ gear? Well, yes and no. Only down side I have to use an RCA to 1/4" converter. Upside, it is the Vermona Action Filter I. Completely designed and manufactured by vermona for stanton. Big upside, it only cost me a bill.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Id vote for the Bi-Filter also, though it's more than a single rack space (2 I think).
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:26 am

Could someone try to explain how the Bi-filter would colour my phatty??
What are the characteristics?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Do you understand how your phatty's filter changes the sound produced by the oscillators?

The low pass section of the Bi-filter would be similar in that it reduces frequency above the set cut-off. I am not sure the design or sound characteristics of filter in the Bi-filter. It's usually try it and if you like it keep it, if not pass it on, type of game when it comes to effects. Buying used is a good idea to be able to recover what you put into it if it doesn't work out.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:34 pm

I have processed pretty much every possible sound through an MF-101. I also use the phatty-filter for external processing, so I have some idea..
I just spent a couple of hours drooling at the sherman filterbank 2 which has an insane raw sound. I love the distortion!!!! From what Ive found on the web these last days, the filterbank is the only piece of gear that has the right sort of coloring Im looking for.
Is the filterbank totally unique, or are there options to achieve similar color and distortion from other manufacturers???

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Now you are in the next level price-wise.

Sherman
Metasonix R-52
EARS FU2 http://www.earsnyc.com/FU2.htm
Schippmann ebb und Flut (maybe)

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:14 am

Thanks a lot!!
Guess I need a new rack and a whole lot more money...

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 am

Work with what you got/ can afford. Lots of great music made on the cheap.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:05 am

I dont really care about the money, never have.. Ill gladly eat noodles for 3 months if thats what it takes.
Im on a mission here! Ive given up all social life, friends, clothes, furniture, food....
Its all just about the music to me.. I NEED to find the sound Ive been hearing inside my head for the past 20 years.
Just one last piece of the puzzle missing..

Lennon was wrong.. All you need is music.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Rabalder wrote:I dont really care about the money, never have.. Ill gladly eat noodles for 3 months if thats what it takes.

:P

Good luck I hope you find "it". The journey's the fun part so don't find it too quickly.

I know what you mean by "I need to find the sound...in my head." The problem with the sound in my head is that as I listen to and learn to create new sounds, the sound in head keeps on changing.

You have the dedicated spirit, so give it your all... "to the widows, to the walls, till the sweat runs down my ..."

e3p0

Post by e3p0 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Have you considered a 500 rack and the Moog ladder filter? It is HPF and LPF and tons of mojo. The 500 rack gives you a ton of options too. Pres, EQs...
Just a thought.
-e

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Sir Nose wrote:The problem with the sound in my head is that as I listen to and learn to create new sounds, the sound in head keeps on changing.
Sounds like a never-ending journey :wink:

Im actually not really sure what the music inside my head sounds like, except some parts of the rhythmical structure. Once in a while I get these kind of "audio-deja vu´s"(sort of). I just know some sounds or effects are right. Its like I suddenly remember a forgotten dream.

I feel like I was born with a pre made blueprint of the music Im suppose to make. But its hard to ask for directions when you dont really know where youre suppose to go.. :?

Anyway, I rearranged my rack and have 2 units of free space.
The Schippmann ebb und Flut sounded really good, but is way to expensive.
The Filterbank is still at the top of the list with all its weirdness, but I wish the overdrive could be engaged when in bypass mode.
e3p0 wrote:Have you considered a 500 rack and the Moog ladder filter?

Thats a whole new world of gear Im not really ready to explore just yet. Besides, I need a filter that makes my bass-phatty a bit more aggressive to separate it from my other lead-ish phatty.

But thanks for the tip!